Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th February 2014, 13:47   #1
A Rover?

Rover 75 2.5 Sterling

Default High speed driving on motorways

We went to Switzerland last summer, as we often do. On Dutch motorways it is useless to maintain high speeds: too busy. From Amsterdam down South on the A2, crossing the Belgian border after 90 minutes. Just before Luik heading East for ± 15 minutes on the busy A5. But then, the eastern one of the two Ardennes autoroutes, the A27. Quiet, recently reconstructed, the bumpy concrete replaced by modern tarmac. Cruise control on 140 kph, the Belgian police are more keen than ever on speed offenders. Crossing the German border brings the Autobahn A60. No traffic whatsoever so cc on 200 kph, enjoying the scenery, the Vulkan Eiffel. The 2.5 75 proves to be an exellent high speed travelling companion: stable, quiet, comfortable as usual, silent, hardly any wind noise. Overtaken by two Nissan GT-Rs racing each other at ultra high speed. Next came the A1 and the A8 through the lovely Hunsrück hills. A break in Saarbrücken. Once in France the A4 to Strasbourg at 140 kph, from there to the German A5. Heavy traffic near Offenburg, then again cc on 200, towards Basel, together with a German Audi and a VW Passat. After crossing the Swiss border in Basel quietly to Bienne via Delémont on parts of the A27, in the Swiss Jura. Will not mention fuel consumption with a big whirlpool inside the tank, I suppose. Luckily fuel is cheaper in Switzerland than anywhere else on the continent except Luxemburg and Eastern Europe.
I assume not being the only one using the full potential of the 75 on motorways. Am I right?
By the way, planning to visit Britain in June, promise to obey any speed limits...
A Rover? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 13:54   #2
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Thanks for that. I'm now encouraged to do a trip to Italy. It's better than flying!