Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2008, 18:14   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default And yet ANOTHER 'scandal'....

From AOL News:

House of Commons Speaker Michael Martin used air miles earned on official business to fly members of his family business-class from Glasgow to London for a New Year break, it has been revealed.

Use of the air miles for family flights goes against official guidelines that MPs should use them to reduce the cost of future business travel paid for from the public purse.

Mr Martin chairs the House of Commons Members Estimate Committee, which oversees MPs' expenses. He is also heading the parliamentary inquiry into MPs' expenses in the wake of the furore over former Tory MP Derek Conway's employment of his sons.

The Sunday Mirror revealed that the return flights were worth a total of £3,090.50, but the family saved around £360 a head by using Mr Martin's air miles.

A spokesman for the Speaker said that his son Paul paid £309 and his daughter Mary Ann £230.50 towards the total flight costs.

Mr Martin last year clocked up £10,587 in parliamentary allowances to cover air travel on official business - much of it covering his journeys with wife Mary between Westminster and their Scottish home.

According to the Sunday Mirror, he has amassed more than one million air miles, and cashed in 54,000 of them for the New Year trip by his children's families.

Mary Ann flew with her husband and son from Glasgow to London on December 28, returning on January 6, while Paul travelled with his wife and two daughters on December 30, returning January 2.

Ministers are banned from using air miles for personal use but MPs, including Mr Martin, are not covered by the same rules. Instead advice from Commons officials is that they should be used only for business.

Liberal Democrat MP Norman Baker, who has called for reform of Westminster perks, said: "This will further damage public confidence in the system of parliamentary expenses. A benefit which is accrued because of spending by the taxpayer should be returned to the taxpayer."
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 11:38   #2
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Same thing happened here in France with the minister of foreign territories, who flew on a private jet (on tax payer money) from one place to another in France and outside, instead of using the allocated flights from the government...
Then they tell you the government needs more money for new projects
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 19:50   #3
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Sadly this goes along with my theory that people in this sort of poition are only in it for what they can get for themselves. It's not about serving the people. Sadly I would expect this to be the tip of the iceberg.

Shame on them all.......

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 20:05   #4
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Politics...its just a career like any other.... I suppose in that sense we all work for what we can get....I hate politics almost as much as I hate money...they are both trouble makers
Old 18th February 2008, 20:53   #5
tourerfogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
Politics...its just a career like any other.... I suppose in that sense we all work for what we can get....I hate politics almost as much as I hate money...they are both trouble makers
If your money is causing you trouble just send it all to me and your troubles will be over
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 22:35   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

First step to becoming one of the Idle Rich TF.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 23:32   #7
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Sack the lot of them and get some honest people in

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 10:47   #8
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
I agree with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
If your money is causing you trouble just send it all to me and your troubles will be over
As someone said once: If money doesn't buy happiness, you don't know where to shop
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote