Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2013, 20:31   #1
kv6ness

mg zt

Unhappy 75 auto brake fault and abs fault raaaa !!

Hi when I was first on here a had mg Zs and since them I have turned into a mg rover nut case !! Lol and all of u on here have been very helpful great site and great people

I now after having a mg zt have a rover 75 2.5 auto con se 2002 it's had 1 owner and full history .. Since I've had it ive replaced bits and pieces but I now have a annoying fault when I start the car I have a brake fault pop up on the dash and then abs fault 5 secs later it always comes on together I've checked pleniums and there fine ... Not sure we're to look a bought a scan tool but no codes either so not shaw what to do can someone please help its driving me mad .!!

If I don't get it sorted ill will have to sell it and don't want too
kv6ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 21:04   #2
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

for the abs fault, try to narrow down the cause.

Is the speedo working ? if yes then that rules out the front right sensor as faulty.

you probably have cruise control on an SE ? if you do and it works then that rules out the front left sensor as being faulty.

use frenchmikes test to determine the faulty sensor(s) it's here www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=139231&highlight=abs+test

As you test each sensor, clean and make sure each sensor plug is making good contact.

What brake fault is showing, is it "brake pads worn" ? or simply a light on ?

seeing you definitely have a fault code logged (the abs) I would say your scanner might not be reading all the faults correctly.
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 22:40   #3
kv6ness

mg zt

Hi thanks for reply ..

Should have been more detailed ... Ok the speedo still works for sure will check cruise control tommorrow ...

As for the brake fault it's got the LCD screen and pops up the brake sign saying brake fault and abs fault the 2 icon below for brakes and abs light stay on too .

Lastly I bought a scan tool Autel ...... 200 of my money still don't pick it up ..

Ill keep u posted
Old 18th June 2013, 23:20   #4
okenora
Posted a thing or two

just an quick one to check, is your brake fluid reservoir well topped up ?
Old 19th June 2013, 02:18   #5
kv6ness

mg zt

Hi ya

Yep topped up to the max ...
Old 19th June 2013, 07:41   #6
kv6ness

mg zt

Checked this morning cruise control turns on and still works ...

So to recap speedo works and cruise control ..

Ill have a look later my friend owns a garage so he may have a snapon scanner
Old 19th June 2013, 07:56   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okenora View Post
for the abs fault, try to narrow down the cause.

Is the speedo working ? if yes then that rules out the front right sensor as faulty.

you probably have cruise control on an SE ? if you do and it works then that rules out the front left sensor as being faulty.

use frenchmikes test to determine the faulty sensor(s) it's here www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=139231&highlight=abs+test

As you test each sensor, clean and make sure each sensor plug is making good contact.
The OSR sensor I replaced was from the supplier recommended by hinged_bap in French Mike's thread. Interestingly when plugged into the OSF connector with a long lead it worked the speedometer fine, and it was only when rotating very slowly and checking each segment of the reluctor using a voltmeter that the fault showed.

So there is at least one fault that can be present on the front wheels that brings up the ABS light, but still allow the speedometer or cruise control to work, as in Post #22 here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=145079&page=3

The fault with my car was the other way around - first the ABS alarm would come on and then the Brake alarm. Both faults due to the sensor not reading the magnetic reluctor consistently. May not be your problem though. With the ABS system best to test each senor using French Mike's method to ensure you locate the fault before changing anything, as you can end up putting more faults on the system if you start changing things that aren't faulty.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 19th June 2013 at 08:09..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 08:25   #8
okenora
Posted a thing or two

I should have been more specific, if speedo and cruise were working I would start at the rear sensors looking for the fault to save time, but obviously if both the rears tested ok the fronts should then be tested.

either way, I think concentrating on the ABS fault first and clearing that is the way to go here, then see what was causing the brake fault.