Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2013, 14:18   #1
Bernst
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Leaky Fuel Pressure Regulator - What's Going On????

Hi folks,

Re: 2003 ZT CDT

This intermittent non-starting problem is driving me mad now!

I replaced the regulator with another one (used part) yesterday; it's the screw in type with hex bolt and 3-pin socket. Went out today and the problem is back! So back under the hood again, detached sensor plug and there's still fuel leakage from inside socket!!!

I'm just glad I didn't spend £160 on a new part because clearly it can't be the regulator. Could it be the fuel rail? If so what's happening? Why is there fuel leaking from the regulator?

For the time being I've got a can of freezer spray; once I wipe up the mess from the plug and socket, I give them a spray and the car fires up again but I can't be doing with that all the time!

Engine cranking normally. Revs smoothly. Idles well. Both LP fuel pumps working. Cam sensor working (tested by Jules last Friday).

If you have any suggestions as to cause, I'm all ears but I've had enough so it's going in the garage on Monday - last straw.

Fuel rail problem or not, I'd better get my wallet out again - I feel another £xp£nsiv£ job coming on...

Many thanks folks. I'm longing for trouble free driving for a change

Joe
Bernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 17:32   #2
listener
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 2005 CDTi 135

Don't forget to check the plenum chamber for water if you are having starting problems wet ecu's will throw loops, re the regulator, you say it is a second hand part so I suppose it could be damaged in some way and letting fuel through did your old one leak or are you just changing it to address your starting problem ?
listener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 18:43   #3
Bernst
Regular poster

MG ZT

Cheers Dennis.

Plenums are clear and chamber/ECU is bone dry.

The old regulator was leaky and now it's the same with the replacement part. Ok it's a used part but it must be coincidence that they're both faulty and leaking unless this is a common fault? I'm really not that keen on shelling out £160 on a new part when the problem might not even be the regulator!

Joe
Old 2nd June 2013, 01:33   #4
listener
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 2005 CDTi 135

The regulator has a diaphragm in it which I think separates the electrical side from the valve and fuel if the diaphragm has a leak then fuel is clearly going to get through to the outside, also it may be bad enough to effect fuel pressure and influence starting

You can check the high pressure side by using Frenchmikes test here :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=69308

I am leaning towards a faulty regulator but I am no expert and just airing my thoughts.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:35   #5
Bernst
Regular poster

MG ZT

I think you could be right there Dennis.

There's no evidence of leakage anywhere else along the fuel rail so the regulator and the used replacement must both be faulty if they're allowing fuel to pass through the diaphragm.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Just hope I won't be flushing £160 down the toilet!

Cheers Dennis - I appreciate your help.

Joe
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:44   #6
listener
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 2005 CDTi 135

I was wondering if the Freelander TD4 regulator might fit they are cheaper, would anyone on here know ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:05   #7
listener
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 2005 CDTi 135

Actually I can answer my own question having found this thread :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...fuel+regulator

Suggestion to admin this ought to go in the "interchangeable" sticky.
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:55   #8
Bernst
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thanks again for spending time on this Dennis

She's now in the garage so I'm waiting for word back. I'll get her serviced whilst she's there.

I've trawled hundreds of posts on this problem and I'm surprised the fuel pressure regulator isn't a more common 'non-starting' problem. In fact I've found none so far that specifically detail leaking fuel from inside the socket caused by a faulty diaphragm. Considering I've fitted another part with exactly the same problem it surely must be a common occurence!

In the meantime I've emailed that Land Rover site you mentioned to see if they know their TD4 part is compatable. Could save me a few bob...

Cheers mate - don't know what happened to everyone else!??

Joe