Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2013, 15:03   #11
GHS

MG ZT

Thanks guys, only done 3,000 miles since i bought i and was told it had recently had an oil and filter change, full service not due for another 3,500. Begining to wonder now, think service is in order to make sure it gets correct grade.
Obviously Chris, the Wynns stop leak is an oil additive.
GHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:15   #12
brgcdti
Gets stuck in

N/A

Yes, the Wynns is an additive which I've used on several 'old' Mercs which had been neglected on oil changes (they just keep on going.....) and suffered from valve stem seal hardening. It wasn't instant , but it certainly didn't do any harm but made a significant difference after a while.
I wouldn't think with the age and mileage of your vehicle (the Mercs were 16+ years old and well over the 100k) it isn't too likely to be that and a simple bit of servicing and knowing what grade of oil is in it will cure it. (If it came through a garage any old oil will do, I'm sure (before anyone complains, not ALL garages are like that. lol)).
brgcdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:58   #13
GHS

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgcdti View Post
Yes, the Wynns is an additive which I've used on several 'old' Mercs which had been neglected on oil changes (they just keep on going.....) and suffered from valve stem seal hardening. It wasn't instant , but it certainly didn't do any harm but made a significant difference after a while.
I wouldn't think with the age and mileage of your vehicle (the Mercs were 16+ years old and well over the 100k) it isn't too likely to be that and a simple bit of servicing and knowing what grade of oil is in it will cure it. (If it came through a garage any old oil will do, I'm sure (before anyone complains, not ALL garages are like that. lol)).
That's certainly worth knowing.
Oil and filter change tomorrow.

Will let you know how i come on. Graham
Old 15th April 2013, 16:32   #14
brgcdti
Gets stuck in

N/A

Good luck with that and see what state the oil and filter is really like ...
brgcdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 16:38   #15
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Add some Molyslip to your engine oil when you change it... ...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:18   #16
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Hi Dave, Yes thats the VCR filter i renewed. At a bit of a loss because the smoke smells of diesel, not oil. As you would read, Simon seems to think it could be a failed valve stem oil seal, surely that would make the smoke smell of burning oil.
I am hoping its not too serious, but somehow i reckon its getting too much diesel on start up, car only done 84,000 miles. Graham
has it got a synergy fitted? This does over fuel but should not smoke (diesel that has failed to burn and ignite properly can give lighter smoke)

It could be worth considering a T4 session to also check that there has not been a weird remap of the tuning which is causing over fuelling; if it smells like diesel it probably is diesel!!

Do not assume it s 5W 30 oil either unless you specified that to someone as they might pick up the earlier Rover advice to use 10W 40. However I would suspect oil could only have an effect if it was grossly out in viscosity and even then probably more likely to kill fuel consumptions
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:52   #17
GHS

MG ZT

Heck Dave, got me stumped there, no idea what a synergy may be or where it would be situated, can you advise please.
On a learning curve here, love the car to bits and enjoying working on it but i have a lot to learn yet.
Old 15th April 2013, 20:51   #18
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Heck Dave, got me stumped there, no idea what a synergy may be or where it would be situated, can you advise please.
On a learning curve here, love the car to bits and enjoying working on it but i have a lot to learn yet.

sorry

a common tuning option for diesel enthusiasts (and I have one) is a tuning box that plugs into the MAF

there is a small box often in the battery box which you can tweak for more power

have a look in the various how to sections to see what it is; just trying to think of over fuelling options

I guess a MAF might also supply the wrong air to the engine and have a similar effect thinking about it. Anything that disturbs the fuel air mix. How is your air cleaner?? A stuffed up one could also give you an excess of fuel
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 08:43   #19
GHS

MG ZT

Unplugged the MAF Dave a week or two back, made no difference. Will check air cleaner when i change oil later.