Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2013, 10:08   #1
slaphead

Rover75 saloon

Default Replacing brake pipes query

I have been informed I need to renew brake pipes on my 03, 75 diesel,before MOT.I would be grateful if anyone can give me any advice and if its much of a job,ive renewed brake pipes before but im new to the rover 75.

thanks Ken.
slaphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 14:24   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The usual advice is not to replace them with the poor quality OEM steel ones. That means making them yourself or having them made up. Better alternative is copper or better still Kunifer, both of which are available on eBay. I forget the size, but someone here will know. Same with the union/couplings thread. Size of the job obviously depends on the extent of the replacement. You'll need the pipe flaring kit, correct couplings etc but all readily available from eBay. The front-rear pipes are traced over the fuel tank, which can prove tricky, but it's perfectly doable. New pipe to body mounting clips are worth thinking about as they tend to become brittle with age. Available from Xpart/Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001567

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th March 2013 at 14:26..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 18:26   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

10mm x 1mm pitch
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 12:16   #4
slaphead

Rover75 saloon

Default ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The usual advice is not to replace them with the poor quality OEM steel ones. That means making them yourself or having them made up. Better alternative is copper or better still Kunifer, both of which are available on eBay. I forget the size, but someone here will know. Same with the union/couplings thread. Size of the job obviously depends on the extent of the replacement. You'll need the pipe flaring kit, correct couplings etc but all readily available from eBay. The front-rear pipes are traced over the fuel tank, which can prove tricky, but it's perfectly doable. New pipe to body mounting clips are worth thinking about as they tend to become brittle with age. Available from Xpart/Rimmer: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001567

TC
thanks for advice, is it possible to do without removing tank or does it have to come off.
Thanks Ken
Old 27th March 2013, 18:30   #5
JonMs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Tank can stay put. It helps if you raise the rear seat bench and open the fuel pump access hatch as this gives you a bit more access when threading the pipe over the tank.
JonMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 09:01   #6
slaphead

Rover75 saloon

Wink Ken

Thanks for your advice Jon thats a great help
Old 29th March 2013, 10:29   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Ken,

I did this job last summer. The pipe run over the tank will outlast the car so you can leave that in place. I suggest that you search the forum and read of other people's experiences. Believe it or not the pipe size is still quoted in Imperial. It's 3/16 ins. I'd recommend that you remove the defective section first, then make a shopping list. Select a flaring tool carefully once you have decided how you're going to approach the job.

Simon
Old 29th March 2013, 16:08   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I had to replace mine when the car was only 6 years old which surprised me as my SD1 Vitesse at now over 25 years old still has the original pipes front to rear, only the ones on the rear axle have been replaced.

I dropped the tank down onto a support to allow better accesss and this also allowed me to clean up the tank support which gets very rusty.
See my "full suspension overhaul" post as I recently re did this tank support.
It is secured onto the tank via plastic scrivets so you have to remove the centre part of the rivet before the main part but they did come out ok. There are also four other studs securing the bracket to the underside of the car.

Good luck

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote