Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2013, 18:49   #1
TheHulk
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default engine check light comes on when low on fuel..

I am contacting Big Russ tomorrow to book my car in for a T4 session to try determine why my car is so sluggish and using so much fuel...just a few observations though.
My engine check light has started coming on when my fuel level gets low usually when 8th of a tank left or less.
My engine check light code doesnt give a code on my reader only Pend01 hence the T4 session being booked.
The car is very sluggish at low rpm but smoothes out the more it's reved/higher rpm. Free reving when stationary and terrible under load. My precat internally is beige in colour my underfloor cat is black (plugged?)
MPG is terrible too.
Just a few observations I thought I'd share.
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 19:15   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
I am contacting Big Russ tomorrow to book my car in for a T4 session to try determine why my car is so sluggish and using so much fuel...just a few observations though.

My engine check light has started coming on when my fuel level gets low usually when 8th of a tank left or less.

My engine check light code doesnt give a code on my reader only Pend01 hence the T4 session being booked.

The car is very sluggish at low rpm but smoothes out the more it's reved/higher rpm. Free reving when stationary and terrible under load. My precat internally is beige in colour my underfloor cat is black (plugged?)

MPG is terrible too.

Just a few observations I thought I'd share.

Sounds like a weak pump to me, flagging up an error when its struggling to deliver.
Old 28th March 2013, 19:29   #3
TheHulk
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Sounds like a weak pump to me, flagging up an error when its struggling to deliver.
Makes sense. Would a weak pump perform better at high rpm than low rpm.
It's a strange driving experience as it's almost like a fault with the transmission whilst driving.
Old 28th March 2013, 22:52   #4
carl_z_t
Gets stuck in

MGZT190+

or blocked fuel filter restricting the flow?
carl_z_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 07:17   #5
TheHulk
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_z_t View Post
or blocked fuel filter restricting the flow?
Yeah probably well overdue a new fuel filter.
Old 29th March 2013, 07:25   #6
RVR75
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 1.8T CLUB SE

Quote:
Yeah probably well overdue a new fuel filter.
The fuel filter could be clogged up with all the dirt, which is not allowing the fuel to run freely through the to the engine! I suggest to get it replaced before your car fails to fire up one day :-)!

See my current thread on Rover 75 1.8T broken: wont turn over...
London
RVR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 08:13   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default 1.8 engine

Quote:
I am contacting Big Russ tomorrow to book my car in for a T4 session to try determine why my car is so sluggish and using so much fuel...
Andy,

I see that you've started several threads complaining about poor fuel consumption, but as far as I can see you haven't carried out an accurate brim-to-brim test. You cannot judge mpg by adding £10 worth of petrol and watching the fuel gauge. For a start, £10 worth will buy more litres at Asda than it will on the M1. Secondly car fuel gauges are not built to be precision instruments. At the very least you should zero your trip computer's fuel consumption display and wait until you've covered several hundred miles before reaching a judgement.

Also consider the type of journeys you are making. If you regularly start the car from cold and travel only a few miles, any engine will return poor mpg.

What I am trying to say is that the consumption may not be as bad as you think. Do the test and find out.

Regarding "sluggish performance" is your car due for a service, or are you perhaps expecting too much from a normally aspirated 1.8 litre?

In-tank fuel filters do not clog unless contamination has been introduced into the tank which is highly unlikely, as is a faulty fuel pump. No-one seems to have suggested that your filter may have simply loosened and needs the orange clip fitting (a common fault, easily rectified).

Simon
Old 29th March 2013, 08:49   #8
TheHulk
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I appreciate the accuracy a brim to brim will provide regarding mpg but I aren't willing to waste such large amounts if fuel hence why I'm not doing it.
I have a mate with a 2.2 vectra sri and he's getting 50 odd mile to Morrison's fuel doing similar short journeys as I am. Also my other car a Citroen Saxo vtr ive owned from new for 10yrs and has been looked after will return 65 mile of spirited driving to £10 of the same fuel. The MG doesby drive spirited full stop its gutless......I know I can't compare the ZT to a little Saxo but I get 35 miles in the MG something definitely isn't right with it.

I'll see what the T4 shows first before wasting £80-100 of fuel which I any afford to do.

Car had recent service.
Also it's not several threads I'd say 4 at most...
Old 29th March 2013, 08:52   #9
TheHulk
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

My phones predictive text makes me seem almost illiterate. Need my PC back from repair asap.