Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th October 2012, 02:40   #1
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Heating system

I put my heating on in my car & noticed that I have warm air coming out of the drivers side & cold air coming out of the passanger side. Anybody got any ideas why this is happening.
Regards,
Wayne
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 03:00   #2
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
I put my heating on in my car & noticed that I have warm air coming out of the drivers side & cold air coming out of the passanger side. Anybody got any ideas why this is happening.
Regards,
Wayne
Blocked heater matrix, the passenger side always goes cold when the matrix is blocked. This should help you http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=125853
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 16:57   #3
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

thanks for all that Ed, its going to be a huge help when I get round to it. How long does the job usually take?

Wayne
Old 28th October 2012, 17:30   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Be careful

Quote:
thanks for all that Ed, its going to be a huge help when I get round to it. How long does the job usually take?

Wayne

hi Wayne

Be very careful when you are doing this. The matrix is easy to get out and flush. However it is a nightmre to get it back together without leaks. the system they have used for joining the pipes is not designed to be used twice. If it was, it's a terrible design. I did mine and ended up with two attempts (draining each time) at getting it to seal and had to get new matrix. Sure someone will be along with an answer or two.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 18:52   #5
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

Cheers Chris,

I may have to get my mate Dave (the plumber) to be there with all his pipe sealing expertise just in case. Everything looked so straight forward until you told me about that. Like you say, hopefully someone will come along with a bit of advice on how to seal it.

Wayne
Old 28th October 2012, 19:15   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Cheers Chris,

I may have to get my mate Dave (the plumber) to be there with all his pipe sealing expertise just in case. Everything looked so straight forward until you told me about that. Like you say, hopefully someone will come along with a bit of advice on how to seal it.

Wayne
The problem seemed to be one of pulling the two sides of the pipe together, sufficiently to get the joint clamps back in place. Someone devised a method which worked.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 19:40   #7
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

Do you think putting new o rings on is a must.

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne B; 28th October 2012 at 21:45..
Old 29th October 2012, 18:07   #8
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

To save you draining the system, clamp the two heater hoses just in front of the bulkhead. You have a V engine so you will need to remove the plastic front scuttle panel (the panel just below the wipers) and the centre removable panel in the outer bulkhead. You then need four round rods, I use 6" long drill and 6 cable ties. Place two rods in a cable tie with a second cable tie looped around the first cable tie so that when it is pulled tight it creates a figure of eight in the first cable tie. Into the two figure of eight loops put the ends of two rods and pull the cable ties tight. You should have a clamp formed by the two rods secured by a cable tie at one end with a cable tie wrapped around the first cable tie and in between the two rods. You have made a hinge. Place the assy around one of the heater hoses and compress the loose ends of the rods together and secure them with a third cable tie. Use a pair of moles to further squeeze them together and tighten the cable tie even further. Do the same for the other heater hose and you will have isolated the heaters from the rest of the cooling system. You can then start to dismantal the heater matrix, remembering to catch any coolant that is still in the heater matrix.

I have never had a problem refitting the O rings and getting a seal, just use a little bit of washing up liquid as a lubricant around the O rings.

You will find that when you release the clamps after doing the work, you will be less likely to have an air lock as air will be bleed from the heaters to the top of the rear block and then back to the header tank via the bleed hose system; all you will need to do is top up the cooling system and then have a cup of tea and a bic. whilst the engine gets up to temp so you can check your heaters work. I know this methord works as I did one the other week.

Last edited by rover54; 29th October 2012 at 18:26..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 18:21   #9
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I've replaced 3 matrices (always wanted to use that word ) and only had one leak, a joint just needed taking apart and fastening again.
I've never bought new o-rings, I have a couple spare that I harvested from the scrapyard.

They are a bit of a nightmare to reconnect. A cable tie around both ends of the pipes you're connecting, then another to go between them to tighten up and draw the 2 ends together helps no end.
Don't forget to undo the pipe clip on the bulkhead to get a bit more wiggle room.

The next one I do, I'm going to have a length of heater hose on standby along with some hose clips and a pipe cutter and join them that way.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote