Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2012, 21:30   #31
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorfex View Post
Blame the end of the Cold War. Without the threat of the Soviet Jackboot marching across Europe, what need did we have for two types of strategic bomber and an entire field army waiting on the banks of the Rhine?
Three types in fact, You have not taken Valiant into account with the Vulcan and Victor, all three were in service with RAF at same time, all of course designed by different UK manufacturers against a design brief 'challenge'.

Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 23:14   #32
Terrorfex
Gets stuck in

Kia

There were few Valiants still in their original strategic bombing roles by the time of the Victor roll-out circa '63 - most had been converted into tankers. So while it's true to say there were three strategic bombers (aka "The V-Bombers) only two flew with each other, as bombers, for any real length of time.

Essentially each new V-Bomber relegated the one that came before it to tanker duty. Some spent longer tanking than bombing, ultimately. The Valiant remains the only British aircraft to drop a nuclear (and then thermonuclear) weapon, of course.

Last edited by Terrorfex; 29th August 2012 at 23:19..
Terrorfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:18   #33
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Thanks for heads up on this, I watched the first part on iplayer and it was a very nice surprise to see the lightning had much more than the usual token mention,oh how I'd love to see one take to the skies again, vulcan eat your heart out !!
I'm looking forward to watching part 2 when I get home.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:39   #34
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
it was a very nice surprise to see the lightning had much more than the usual token mention,oh how I'd love to see one take to the skies again,
You could have taken a spin in one until recently if your pockets were deep enough http://www.incredible-adventures.com..._electric.html

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:55   #35
Terrorfex
Gets stuck in

Kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
You could have taken a spin in one until recently if your pockets were deep enough http://www.incredible-adventures.com..._electric.html
XS422 is being restored to flight by the Anglo-American Lightning Organisation. See their low-tech website here, or their Facebook page here.

Due to stringent CAA regulations, this Lightning - or any other - would never be allowed to return to flight. However, the U.S. has an entire category of aviation dedicated to keeping museum pieces like this operational, hence its restoration stateside rather than over here.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:56   #36
Ched

I had looked into it and it would have cost £5000 for a flight and had every intention of doing it.
Then came the terrible crash which ultimately turned out to be cost cutting on maintenance,Mike beachy head has not forgiven himself for the death of his very dear friend, hence why it all came to an end.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:00   #37
Ched

For the lightning to be returned to flight it would, like the vulcan need to be maintained by professional engineers and not volunteers, maybe one day,just never say never.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:38   #38
Terrorfex
Gets stuck in

Kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
For the lightning to be returned to flight it would, like the vulcan need to be maintained by professional engineers and not volunteers, maybe one day,just never say never.
You can be a "volunteer" AME - it's just the organisation you're working for must comply with all legislation regarding maintenance. That organisation can be not-for-profit or an airline. Doesn't matter. Most of the work on the Vulcan is carried out by AMEs working directly "for" the Vulcan to the Sky Trust.

The Vulcan's advantage though, is that it's subsonic. No supersonic aircraft has ever been granted RTF status in civilian, non-revenue flight. The accident and incident record of the Lightning is also far, far worse than the Vulcan. The Lightning was an intrinsically unstable aircraft, always on the verge of flying apart. It was at the bleeding edge of the cutting edge of airpower back in the day.

It was like building something today you'll think of tomorrow.

If anyone's interested, the Accident Report on ZU-BEX is now available. It's a very long read but it offers an interesting insight into those not in the industry.

South African Civil Aviation Authority Accident Report on EE Lightning "ZU-BEZ"
Old 30th August 2012, 15:25   #39
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

"The Last Lightning Show" at Binbrook is probably the most spectacular airshow I've been to.That very wet day is one I will never forget

Still got the video.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 30th August 2012 at 15:27..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 16:12   #40
Ched

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
"The Last Lightning Show" at Binbrook is probably the most spectacular airshow I've been to.That very wet day is one I will never forget

Still got the video.

Yes I've seen that,wish I could have been there.

Many years ago when there were airshows at greenham common about 2 mins after the show had finished the announcer said over the loudspeaker to the crowd," Heres a real bonus,the 2 lightnings here are about to do a real scramble as they are needed urgently at there base in lincolnshire and will be there in approx 3 mins "
It looked as tho' they were going to take off on the taxiing strip,and I'm so glad I didnt rush to leave that day.