Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th November 2006, 13:58   #1
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Default What a Dipstick! 2 oily matters

CDTi owners.... have you noticed that after your engine has cooled the dipstick registers no oil at the first check? I can tell you....this got my attention the other day! on the second dip it registered maximum. odd....but I will try to explain.

when the engine is running the oil level in the sump drops as the oil is circulated, then when you switch off the level in the sump returns....except to the tube for the dipstick....it seems that the tube is airtight and gets airlocked preventing the oil from regitering on the dipstick! when you pull out the dipper, it releases the air and allows the oil into the tube.

Secondly....Oil choice....I am currently running semi synthetic oil...but having checked two oil application charts I notice although the BMW 2L diesel uses 10/40 the MG 75 20L diesel recomended grade is 0/40 or 5/30....now is it just me or does that seem an incredibly light oil for a turbo Diesel?!! any comments?

Cheers

jamie
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote