Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:27   #11
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I would not worry too much about the PRT. I think it is largely a fad.
Tere are a couple of problems with the 4 cylinder engine, and they are:
The thermostat is on the wrong side of the block, and that allows a sudden rush of cold water to stream into the engine, when first opening. And the second problem is if there is no water in the expansion box, the engine WILL overheat. That applies specifically to the MG F/TF versions, but I think also the 1.8K.
I have now twice had immediate and impressive temperature increases, just losing enough water to empty the expansion bottle! I can't recall any other car, where you can have water JUST below the expansion bottle, and then start overheating like this. After all, there is maybe about one liter of water in the plastic expansion bottle, but the difference between running fine and overheating is perhaps the last 100ml or so. And the difference is not gradual, it is like night and day!

So my suggestions is to make a hole in the thermostat, so that there will always be some flow, that will allow a gradual warming from cold, maybe at the cost of a bit of cabin heat in winter, and then fit a warning for low coolant.
With these two modifications, I think you can achieve anything a PRT is supposed to do for you.
If you don't do any of the above, then check your water like a good boy, often, conscientiously, and thoroughly! Again, again and again!!!

Last edited by kaiser; 3rd October 2020 at 13:48..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote