Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th January 2017, 18:26   #1
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Default Clutch change saga

After three years of trying to get local garages and assorted 'expert mechanics' to get me a decent clutch in my 75 CDTi, I am biting the bullet and changing the clutch myself. I have the Tazu Mk1 master in my car, which seems fine and I will leave in place. I have ongoing issues with a grinding/whirring noise (probably release bearing related) when I change gear, with some judder. The car currently has a National clutch kit in it fitted by a former trader on this forum. I am going to fit a Borg and Beck kit with a metal slave cylinder (currently on its way from DMGRS). I am going to do the job by the book - subframe off etc. and I am going to take my time doing it, to try to get everything spot on. I'll post updates in this thread, to act as a guide to members thinking of tackling the job themselves, and also to ask for advice where needed, as I go along.

I started today by jacking the car up nice and high and firmly supporting it on axle stands under the sills. I removed the undertray and n/s wheel arch liner. I cracked the bottom drop link/ARB joint and the lower arm/hub pinch joint. I then drained the gearbox oil (strange finding No. 1: 2 litres came out - I thought these boxes only held 1.6 litres).

I'll crack on as and when time/energy allows. I envisage spreading the job over the next 2-3 weeks, in between work and family commitments.

Wish me luck - it is bit scary doing this for the first time !

Cheers

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch 01.17 001.jpg (122.6 KB, 150 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote