Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th May 2016, 12:02   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Smile Replacement cogs for traction control actuator.

Over time, the plastic teeth in the traction control actuator are prone to break. The damage occurs where two of the cogs intermesh at the point where rotation is stopped (rather suddenly) by a buffer.
This actuator was inherited from the 5 and 7 series B*M*W - hence plastic.
I have taken measurements of the workings and my son-in-law did the Cad drawings - being a biomedical engineer / electronics engineer he is familiar with this type of work and I believe the drawings to be accurate.

We had planned for the commercial division of a local university to run a production of these cogs in aluminium (their recommended material as titanium was too expensive).
However, they informed us that there is a difficulty in manufacturing these.
My son-in-law doesn't see a problem, but then we do not have access to large commercial 3D printers.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an alternative manufacturer? Could the company that manufactured gears for the folding door mirrors be a possibility?

We are not aiming to make a profit on this project - just to help fellow 75 KV6 owners (a little) to keep our cars on the road. Our local Rover Car Club has designed many items eg. lower rail suspension enhancements for the P6B and other non-attainable parts.

How many KV6 engined 75 and ZT cars in the U.K. are fitted with the traction control system - believe that not all were fitted with this system. Also, is this (traction control actuator) a problem in the U.K.

I am attaching a photo of part of a page of our drawings to indicate what we are aiming to achieve. In all, there are 17 diagrams / sections in our drawings. This attachment may lack some detail as we had to reduce its pixels - apologies if this detracts from the drawing.

Hope you may be able to give me constructive recommendations.

Kind regards to all,

egremont.

egremont is offline   Reply With Quote