Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2009, 17:20   #1
Jonesy

Rover 75 saloon 1.8 SE

Default overheating & water pump

I took my 03 Rover 75 1.8 petrol to garage (18th Dec) because of losing water, was told that I need a new water pump and I booked it in for Tues. I went out in it today, (as I was told short journeys would be ok) at first I noticed that the fan was coming on and I heard a gurgling noise so I pulled over to check then carried on, I only got a little bit further when temperature gauge went over half way up to the top and red light came on. I stopped the car and had to call AA. Any ideas as to what could be happening and if it will have caused any more damage. Thanks
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:31   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I took my 03 Rover 75 1.8 petrol to garage (18th Dec) because of losing water, was told that I need a new water pump and I booked it in for Tues. I went out in it today, (as I was told short journeys would be ok) at first I noticed that the fan was coming on and I heard a gurgling noise so I pulled over to check then carried on, I only got a little bit further when temperature gauge went over half way up to the top and red light came on. I stopped the car and had to call AA. Any ideas as to what could be happening and if it will have caused any more damage. Thanks
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. In my experience the garage should not have told you that. There is so little volume of coolant in the 1.8 that any loss can be trouble. If you have the old style gasket then it may have already blown when the red light came on. The best bet now is to get it to the garage to do the tests. If you have HGF then insist that they fit the new MLS gasket, inc. the oil ladder and new bolts to the correct torque settings (VERY IMPORTANT) although I am not sure if there are any old ones kicking around anyway. I am sure someone more technical will come along shortly to give more advice.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:41   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

So where's the car now? Did the AA tow it home or to the garage? Running the engine after this event isn't worth risking damage that may not have happened. The safest thing would be a tow to the garage so they can check over for HGF, etc. K18s don't like going into the red and once they've been there shouldn't be run without a proper exam and fluids check. Let's hope you got away with it this time.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:53   #4
stevemac
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The safest thing would be a tow to the garage so they can check over for HGF, etc.

TC
Yes, sorry didn't make myself clear, don't drive it until tested.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 19th December 2009, 17:54   #5
Jonesy

Rover 75 saloon 1.8 SE

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the previous owner had a head gasket fitted 10k ago. The car is at the garage, the engine was only started to get it off the back of the tow truck, it started ok and no red lights came on.
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 18:00   #6
stevemac
This is my second home

Quote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the previous owner had a head gasket fitted 10k ago. The car is at the garage, the engine was only started to get it off the back of the tow truck, it started ok and no red lights came on.
I don't think there is any way of knowing which HG has been fitted by looking externally. Even the MLS ones have been known to fail. If it was fitted with the new type then there is a better that reasonable chance that it hasn't gone. The red overheat light would probably not have come on just getting it off the truck. Good luck.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 19th December 2009, 18:08   #7
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
What garage told you that, you should never drive a car if the water pump is suspect if it fails on a journey then the engine overheats and thats the end of that utter stupidity and please quote me when in the garage as there advice is suspect. and if there is more damage to the engine eg hgf then they should pay.
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote