Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 19th August 2015, 19:30   #1
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default Thoughts, views, opinions :)

Not sold, here or elsewhere.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=222386

Give me your thoughts, I've broad shoulders, I can take it.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:36   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nice motor, trouble is the masses just don't like the 1.8, it's different once they have owned one for a while, just try getting past the horror stories!
Old 19th August 2015, 19:38   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I think the more popular choice may be the turbo, so that could rule out a lot of potential buyers. As for e-bay, Mr. Average buyer knows jack about these cars so would think it's overpriced, not appreciating the work done.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:38   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Give me your thoughts, I've broad shoulders, I can take it.
OK Rich, you said it!

1. State the asking price last not first.

2. Delete all that stuff about niggles and recent repairs. It spells unreliability to the worried buyer.

3. Just say that it's been fully serviced and the head gasket has been done. That's all.

Good luck.

Simon
Old 19th August 2015, 19:40   #5
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

I am still amazed the V6 and diesel horror stories don't get as much light as 1.8 stories.
Old 19th August 2015, 20:12   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
I am still amazed the V6 and diesel horror stories don't get as much light as 1.8 stories.
Ask marinabrian, he says the 1.8k is the most reliable engine out of them all, and he should know!
Old 19th August 2015, 19:42   #7
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

I know this car, and the effort and enthusiastic expertise bestowed. Alas, the limited audience herein will most likely not (beyond the associated detailed 'restoration' thread). The key here is 'limited'...given the car is now offered elsewhere (Gumtree, Ebay) one can but hope for a wider audience and a subsequent sale.

I urge you to hold out for such a sale...it is worth every penny 'any reasonable offer' will secure Rich, and you must maintain further patience.

To anyone who is contemplating a purchase (or indeed knows of friends or family in need of a sorted car), you really must consider this well sorted motor.

Best of luck Rich.

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Old 19th August 2015, 20:10   #8
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfer View Post
I know this car, and the effort and enthusiastic expertise bestowed. Alas, the limited audience herein will most likely not (beyond the associated detailed 'restoration' thread). The key here is 'limited'...given the car is now offered elsewhere (Gumtree, Ebay) one can but hope for a wider audience and a subsequent sale.
Agreed, as I said the same in the main thread.

The only thing that would have put me off of it when I was on the hunt was the colour though to be perfectly honest, maybe the four-figure price too (though I've gone well over it counting the cosmetic parts I've bought for the car since). Not because it isn't worth it but personally, I just wasn't wanting to spend four figures on one. Though perhaps silver isn't a colour that people are now hankering after, I think it's falling out of favour now which isn't surprising giving how prevalent it has been on the roads in recent years.

I chose a 1.8 for fuel economy, pure & simple (I didn't want a Rover with a diesel either). I read a lot before I bought so wasn't put off the V6 by the belt change procedure as I saw the prices you can get them done for beforehand, equivalent to a head gasket/belt change on a 1.8. But I also wasn't discouraged by the HGF reputation of the 1.8 as I knew it is not entirely undeserved but avoidable with good maintenance & likely to have already happened & been sorted, at least to one that wasn't being sold with an already-blown one.
Many people just believe the scare-stories & buy a Jag or a Beemer which is their loss though no good for the Rovers standing either. It does help the situation if you're a dyed-in-the-wool Roverphile of course. Rover's reputation from the dark years doesn't help but that's taking into account the big picture.

I don't think you've done anything wrong as such though perhaps you could try www.carandclassic.co.uk, as I previously suggested & any other car sale sites such as Exchange & Mart & Autotrader....etc. More work admittedly but far more laudable than simply breaking another for parts though it doesn't get your drive back as quickly, I know.

Old 19th August 2015, 20:14   #9
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Ask marinabrian, he says the 1.8k is the most reliable engine out of them all, and he should know!
I am well versed in Brian's view of both the V6, V8 and the diesel. I tend to agree with him, but I suppose great minds think alike!
Old 19th August 2015, 20:22   #10
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I think it is simply not a desirable spec or engine and the general market values are so low that somebody paying that amount will probably be an enthusiast and would want to hold out and wait for a better spec'd car like a Conney/SE with a V6 or CDT engine.

Basic lack of demand for excellent condition cars of that spec I'd reckon
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Closed Thread