Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2013, 16:22   #1
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

Default Warranty Claim

I spotted some water drops leaking from the engine casing this morning and my trusty mobile mechanic came over this afternoon and pressure tested the system and thinks that it may be a Head Gasket failure.

The warranty I bought with the car last September excludes damage caused by all sorts of things like neglect, failure to maintain in a roadworthy condition etc. and specifically mentions "the effects of overheating..."
In order to get a claim approved, I will need to pay for the car to be stripped and the cause of the HGF diagnosed. So I'm wondering, what sort of thing might my mechanic need to be looking for as possible causes for the HGF that will allow me to get a succesful claim and therefore the cost of the repairs met?
__chris__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 18:23   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __chris__ View Post
I spotted some water drops leaking from the engine casing this morning and my trusty mobile mechanic came over this afternoon and pressure tested the system and thinks that it may be a Head Gasket failure.

The warranty I bought with the car last September excludes damage caused by all sorts of things like neglect, failure to maintain in a roadworthy condition etc. and specifically mentions "the effects of overheating..."
In order to get a claim approved, I will need to pay for the car to be stripped and the cause of the HGF diagnosed. So I'm wondering, what sort of thing might my mechanic need to be looking for as possible causes for the HGF that will allow me to get a succesful claim and therefore the cost of the repairs met?

water pump? it may not be hgf ,leaking inlet manifold gasket leaky hoses leaky water pump.
Old 7th February 2013, 20:24   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Well assuming you haven't overheated the engine due to the coolant leak, then the gasket work done previously (I would assume), hasn't been done properly. A badly prepared head (eg warped) will not seal correctly and will leak without HGF. On that basis the warranty conditions have been complied with and the gasket should appear OK. If it has 'blown' in the traditional way, then overheating is the most logical cause and the warranty is void. I'd say this could be a very difficult thing the prove and may depend on the seller's good will.

Of course, it may not be leaking from the head gasket. The inlet manifold often leaks externally and this can dribble into the head join giving a false impression of the source.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th February 2013 at 20:26..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 09:50   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I spotted some water drops leaking from the engine casing this morning and my trusty mobile mechanic ... thinks that it may be a Head Gasket failure.
Chris,

As has been said above, you don't have enough evidence to suspect that. Has the coolant level been low? Has the engine overheated? Is there 'mayonnaise' on the dipstick and in the oil filler cap? If the answers to those are 'no', then forget about HGF.

Start by trying to trace the source of the 'water'. Is it plain water or is it coolant? Sometimes rainwater can play cruel tricks.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th February 2013 at 15:15..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 10:19   #5
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

Thanks for the info so far.

Some background, I have had coolant loss on & off since November but never had any mayonnaise.

First I steam coming from the radiator hose where the T piece is. This turned out to be a hole in a worn out hose. This got replaced.
Then I had the T-piece snap while I was out one weekend. Got recovery truck home and had the metal t-piece fitted.
Then I had to replace the upper hose as I'd ripped it when I fitted the new t-piece.

I assumed all was OK and then the next day I had some 'steam' coming from under the bonnet and the temperature using the OBD was getting up to 104. Dropped to 97ish when I put the heater on. Got home a 1/4 of a mile later and looked under the bonnet and I could see small, regular drops of water at the bottom of the engine falling onto the ground. I assume there was also some falling onto a hot part of the engine causing the steam.

I let the engine cool down and a few hours later went to check the coolant levels. I undid the pressure cap and heard a whoosh - I assume this is normal ? The coolant level was at the Max point.
Called mechanic with result as per previous post.

However.... I have noticed an occasional stuttering at start up recently along with white exhaust emissions. I had put the exhaust down to me changing the back box to a non-standard stainless steel item that I got from Ebay, but now I'm wondering from what I've read on this forum if this isn't pointing to inlet manifold problems.
Only problem is, I don't actually understand what the implications of this are, how I would check or how I would fix it.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by __chris__; 8th February 2013 at 10:21..
__chris__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 13:05   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
I have noticed an occasional stuttering at start up recently along with white exhaust emissions. - - - but now I'm wondering from what I've read on this forum if this isn't pointing to inlet manifold problems. Only problem is, I don't actually understand what the implications of this are, how I would check or how I would fix it.
These are typical symptoms of a failed IMG. The coolant gets into cylinders 1 and/or 4 causing a lumpy startup an steamy exhaust. Inspect spark plugs 1 & 4 for a washed appearance and maybe pink stains (if OAT antifreeze is in use). The implications are on-going loss of coolant with the attendant risks (HGF not the least). Replacing the IMG is not that difficult and you should get the latest Viton type (part number:LKJ101110 http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LKJ101110

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 14:25   #7
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Show a mecahnic a R75 and without even lifting the bonnet he will diagnose HGF!! Clever people these mechanics.....
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 15:22   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default 1.8 cooling fan

Quote:
.. the temperature using the OBD was getting up to 104. Dropped to 97ish when I put the heater on.
Chris,

Believe it or not, the radiator fan won't trigger until 104 degrees on the 1.8 engine. Check that it is working properly by starting the engine from cold and pressing 'demist'. This will force the radiator fan to run. You'll probably need to listen at the radiator grille to hear it. Let us know the result.
Quote:
I let the engine cool down and a few hours later went to check the coolant levels. I undid the pressure cap and heard a whoosh - I assume this is normal ?
Yes, that's a good sign that the system is holding pressure.

Nothing you've said suggests HGF to me. I recommend that you follow T-Cut's advice regarding the inlet manifold gasket.

Simon
Old 8th February 2013, 15:43   #9
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

we do alot of warranty work and with all the company's they will only pay for headgasket labour and skim. they will not pay out on cambelt kit. you do not have to have engine stripped to test head gasket. its a simple test to see if any hc in the water takes 10 mins to do. it could be one of hundred reasons it lost some water. its not always the headgasket. i am not saying its not hg but dont be pushed into thinking its the hg by garage. they all just jump to the head gasket with out checking.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 17:15   #10
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
I let the engine cool down and a few hours later went to check the coolant levels. I undid the pressure cap and heard a whoosh - I assume this is normal ?
As already said , this is normal , so long as the engine is still warm (ish) .
However , if you wait and go back the next morning when the engine is stone cold and then you get a whoosh then this is a known indicator of HGF on these engines . It is the same on the 1.4 and 1.6 versions . The system appears to be able to hold pressure that has been created by the exhaust gases leaking into it without them leaking back when the engine cools
Based on observations of numerous cases and other discussions on this forum.
It's an easy check to make and may help your diagnosis