Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th September 2014, 18:12   #1
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Default To flush or not ?

Any opinions here on the pros and cons of using engine flushes when changing the oil on the CDT M47R engine ? I was thinking of doing this at next oil change (due soon), but have seen some negative comments on some forums about this being a waste of time/money, and actually doing more harm than good.
All comments welcome
Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 18:29   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

My 75 is due an oil change, I won't flush it because the oils used today apparently have enough additives (detergents if you like) to keep the engine clean. Can't see much benefit in flushing, but do see the benefits of halving the specified 15k interval (mines a diesel). I can buy into the fact that the old oil will collect carbon, soot, filings etc, so a regular change would be a good thing. IMHO of course
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 19:08   #3
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Every time mine goes in for a service, CDT (and MOT at the same time), they always use Fortis engine flush before they replace the oil and filter, I think it helps to get rid of as much rubbish as possible.
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 19:34   #4
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

If you are concerned about using a flush you can just to use cheap new oil as a sacrificial flush. Its very easy if you have a pela pump, more of a pain if you dont.

Just suck out the old oil, 5 litres of it anyway, refill with cheap oil (that meets the spec) something like ECP QX oil thats often just £12 when on offer, less if you use 10w40 semi.

Drive for a bit, as long as you fancy, maybe 100 miles, then drain it properly, replace the filter and add your preferred oil.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:23   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
If you are concerned about using a flush you can just to use cheap new oil as a sacrificial flush. Its very easy if you have a pela pump, more of a pain if you dont.

Just suck out the old oil, 5 litres of it anyway, refill with cheap oil (that meets the spec) something like ECP QX oil thats often just £12 when on offer, less if you use 10w40 semi.

Drive for a bit, as long as you fancy, maybe 100 miles, then drain it properly, replace the filter and add your preferred oil.
That's the way I do it too
Old 15th September 2014, 21:37   #6
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

My car and van are both oil changed at 5000 miles and a flush goes in each time. I am sure a build up of crud does more damage than the flushes would.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 21:51   #7
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Unless you take everything apart, you will never change all of the oil in the system. Take the oil present in the oil cooler, for example.

The trouble is with flushing oils is that some of it must still be present after the oil change.
As a result, this must compromise the specification and performance of the new oil going in.

With modern oils, flushing is on out of date practice, IMHO.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 22:04   #8
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

My local garage made up an advert set for the engine flush they sell while I was there one day.

Two small glass bottles, one with just used engine oil from the workshop and one with used oil and a few drops of the flush. Both half full.

Shake both, the glass with the flush in the oil is clear at the top in about 15 seconds. The one without the flush is sort of see through in about 15 minutes.

Sells it to me.

So that will be used oil from a car in the workshop, no old fashioned oil, oil with modern detergents in.

I will keep adding flush, and recommending others so the same.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 22:18   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
My local garage made up an advert set for the engine flush they sell while I was there one day.

Two small glass bottles, one with just used engine oil from the workshop and one with used oil and a few drops of the flush. Both half full.

Shake both, the glass with the flush in the oil is clear at the top in about 15 seconds. The one without the flush is sort of see through in about 15 minutes.

Sells it to me.

So that will be used oil from a car in the workshop, no old fashioned oil, oil with modern detergents in.

I will keep adding flush, and recommending others so the same.
Exactly the point, a demonstration of phase separation would definitely not sell it to me.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 22:26   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Any opinions here on the pros and cons of using engine flushes when changing the oil on the CDT M47R engine ? I was thinking of doing this at next oil change (due soon), but have seen some negative comments on some forums about this being a waste of time/money, and actually doing more harm than good.
All comments welcome
Pete
My M47R has had the oil changed every 15k miles from new using decent quality semi-synthetic but no flushing. It has now covered coming up to 360k miles, nothing lubricated by the engine oil has been changed and it still runs fine.

Doesn't even use any oil in between services. So I can't see how flushing would have improved things, and I'd have had to pay for 23 of them to date.

If you are unsure of the service history then maybe there could be a benefit as a one off though.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 15th September 2014 at 22:28..
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote