Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2014, 14:29   #1
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Speed Cameras to be switched back on!

When this Government came in, they removed the financial support from the Local Authorities, that funded Speed Cameras. As a result, many were turned off, but the Police and local Councils have found that the cameras are indeed 'self funding' after all (probably should read, 'profitable'). Now, many Councils/Police forces are planning to turn them back on again, including two that I noticed, namely West Midlands and Bristol. Therefore, I would suggest extra vigilance during the coming months, because what may have been a 'dormant' camera, may well now be active. Kind of casts doubt on the safety reasoning and perpetuates the fear that it is purely a 'money raising' ploy.

In the same article, it suggests that Speed Awareness courses may save you points on your license, but your insurance premium is more than likely to rise, despite the assumption it wouldn't. Insurance companies still count being caught speeding as an added risk factor, despite the 'law' waiving the points.

Apparently, insurance premiums,as a whole, are also on the rise again, after a two year lull.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 14:45   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The simplest answer to speed cameras is don't speed!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 14:51   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
When this Government came in, they removed the financial support from the Local Authorities, that funded Speed Cameras. As a result, many were turned off, but the Police and local Councils have found that the cameras are indeed 'self funding' after all (probably should read, 'profitable'). Now, many Councils/Police forces are planning to turn them back on again, including two that I noticed, namely West Midlands and Bristol. Therefore, I would suggest extra vigilance during the coming months, because what may have been a 'dormant' camera, may well now be active. Kind of casts doubt on the safety reasoning and perpetuates the fear that it is purely a 'money raising' ploy.
That's an interesting change. As you say the Central government removed funding, they paid for them and also recieved the funding so that councils couldn't raise funding, although they did run them. Have councils now the authority to fund, operate and collect the revenues from the speed cameras? Have you got a link?
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 14:54   #4
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
That's an interesting change. As you say the Central government removed funding, they paid for them and also recieved the funding so that councils couldn't raise funding, although they did run them. Have councils now the authority to fund, operate and collect the revenues from the speed cameras? Have you got a link?
It does seem that the locals will be keeping a percentage of the fines, which I think they did before, but it just reads as though they now think they can cover their costs, which doesn't sound right if nothing has changed. Of course, if local authorities get more power under the proposed devolution of central government, then the world will be their oyster; they will be able to deviously catch motorists out, then escalate the fines and they will then have more cash to squander on their own self indulgence.

I haven't got a link and I have recycled the article, but it was in yesterday's Telegraph 'Cars' supplement (previously known as Telegraph Motoring). The article related to a chap that was caught speeding, who opted for the the 'Speed Awareness' course and then had his insurance doubled; the switching on of cameras was in a little insert in the same article.

Roverite.
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:26   #5
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

If there's no mirror around in the flash hole its a dummy simple
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:49   #6
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Speeding

There is an article in today's D Mail someone was caught speeding 13 times in a month by the same camera, at over 80 mph on occasions on the A23 in Sussex.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:57   #7
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Speed cameras, if they are fixed ones slow down then speed off like a bat out of hell like everyone does until the next one and so on. Or drive like a 90 year old and drive at 35 in a 40 and slow down to 30 with a quick hard press of the brakes and continue to do so until the next one appears!
Good aren't they!
A subject many have opinions on and each to their own on this one!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:10   #8
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Speed cameras, if they are fixed ones slow down then speed off like a bat out of hell like everyone does until the next one and so on. Or drive like a 90 year old and drive at 35 in a 40 and slow down to 30 with a quick hard press of the brakes and continue to do so until the next one appears!
Good aren't they!
A subject many have opinions on and each to their own on this one!
In which case keep your opinions to yourself, why should you pick on 90 year olds they are entitled to drive how they please, speed limits are there for a reason.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 19:27   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Speed cameras, if they are fixed ones slow down then speed off like a bat out of hell like everyone does until the next one and so on.
Until my thinking catches on that is.

Which is to install highly visible dummy cameras. Interspersed with these, hidden operational ones. That will teach a lesson to all those who think they should not have to abide by legal limits and are in some way smarter than the system.

Should also help the economy along the way.

It's only a question of time....
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:49   #10
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Speed cameras, if they are fixed ones slow down then speed off like a bat out of hell like everyone does until the next one and so on.
That is true of the fixed ones, but beware of the 'Camera Vans'. These have cameras at the front, rear and sides, so you could be caught when exiting the 'speed trap' and not just on the approach. Average speed cameras are more demanding because you have to keep your speed steady over a considerable distance, so it is best to go through at slightly under the limit. Some time ago I traveled through an average speed camera set up at some road works, but the speed limit varied within the overall road works distance; all very confusing!

Roverite.