Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2007, 18:41   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Angry Handbrakes - Why you should use them.

Handbrakes. You use your hand to put on the brake, hence it's name. It's quite simple. You stop the car... reach down with your arm, grab hold of lever and pull upwards until it stops. Easy.

So, may I ask... Why do some people not use them?

I mean, take this example....

I park my car this morning in the usual car park and pay the usual fee. I leave car glancing backwards a few times (as you do) then dissappear round the corner and off to work.

I get out of work just gone six this evening and return to car.... to find.... A car.... 'parked' accross two bays and IN my rear drivers-side door.

After much fuming and shouting I phone police and brother. Brother comes along to take photos (for insurance purposes) and a police man comes along to inspect the situation. Turns out the handbrake on the offending car is OFF and it has obviously rolled back into my car... Not a happy bunny is me.

The damage is a dent or three, scraping and paintwork damage to rear drivers-side door and wheel arch.

I love my car. I spend hours cleaning and polishing it (really, I do) then something like this happens. All because someone forgot to either leave it in gear or put the handbrake on. Bleeding annoying it is....

Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 18:44   #2
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

go on. Name the offending make.
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 18:45   #3
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

O'h Simon that is not good! Did the guy come back to his car? Did the police do anything about it or did he have to go and change some speed camera film?

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 18:54   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I can't imagine how gutted you feel, hope I never have to.
We all know how much you cherish your car, I hope it is easily and quickly fixable.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 19:19   #5
Simon
Banned

-

The offending car is an Audi A4. Which has now got a dented bumper.

Owner never came back whilst we were there. I'm guessing he/she parked up during the day and went off to work or parked up there early evening and has gone into town for a meal/pub etc...

Police pushed car forwards so I could drive mine out of the space without causing further damage. The Audi was left in situ as we couldn't do much with it. Police left notice on its windshield for when owner comes back. I guess they may be shocked as to why their car is now in a rather odd angle in the car park...

I'll have to phone insurance company when they get back to work on Monday and then go about sorting out quotes for repair work, etc.

Thing is though... Now I have a (large) imperfection in my car. This is the worse bit. Not the fact that it's happend but the fact my car is hurt...

Like you said GG - I really like my car. I like it to be clean and shiny. Not only is it dirty (coz of the naff weather) but it is has now got a wonky bit on one side. Which is not nice...
Old 13th January 2007, 20:51   #6
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Sorry to hear this Simon.

It does make you angry when this sort of thing happens. Similar has happened to me twice, though it was a Rover 216 VP I owned. Once returned to my car to find that someone had put a large dent in the drivers door (offending car not around - drove off), and another time returning to my car after work to find the rear bumper in the road and scratches down the side where a lorry had reversed down the side of it.

However, it could have been worse. At least you know the offending vehicle, and have photos to prove what happened. If the owner would have got back first it could have been a different ending, and to be fixed out of your own pocket.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 21:19   #7
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Unhappy

Simon, I'm gutted for you man

Don't know what else to say apart from sorry to hear the news
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 21:50   #8
Simon
Banned

-

Just had a phone call from the police who have managed to track the cars registered owner (they couldn't do it on the car park for reasons I can't say coz it will be telling...)

Turns out they only live a few roads away from me... :cant-find-right-emoticon-but-it's-possibly-along-the-lines-of-"oh bl**dy heck"-type-of-thing:
Old 14th January 2007, 06:32   #9
Chilljohn
Posted a thing or two

MG HS PHEV

sorry to hear it !!! hope al gets sorted very soon and smoothly !

Free enable of digital speedo readout on message centre (takes 2 mins)

Free Vis motor testing, via obd port courtesy of my delphi so no need to take anything apart, along with free code scan including abs and airbag message me for details
Chilljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:35   #10
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Sad news Simon

Hope the whole process of getting it repaired is painless for you
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote