Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2011, 11:30   #1
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Unhappy Rust! - yes really!!!

Whilst looking at the rear brake discs on my 54 registered Contemporary SE Tourer I noticed a lot of rust on the rear sub frame, rear suspension mounts and fuel tank straps. I have arranged for the sub frame and suspension mounts to be removed, sand blasted, properly painted and put back with Waxoyl to save problems later as no doubt replacements are already unobtainable. I've been quoted about £300 for this. Rest of car is excellent but I had not expected so much rust in these hidden places. BEWARE!
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 11:50   #2
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Yes, I've got rust in those places too. And slight bubbling in the wheelarch, under the blue top coat, and around the boot aperture where the spot welds are
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 11:51   #3
dollywobbler

None

Aye, mine's a bit grotty in that area, though at least the metal seems a decent thickness. I'll have to settle for coating it in anti-corrosion gunk. £300 doesn't sound bad for the amount of work you're having done.
dollywobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 14:08   #4
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Interesting this and thank you for posting. It's quite daunting now when you think the youngest examples of our cars will be 7 years old next year roughly. Hopefully some time next year I'm going to redo the suspension on my car, and will likely give it a good blathering in rust some better waxoyl equivalent then.

Had a good nosey under my 04 Contemporary and all seems ok for the time being, what doesn't help is the rubbish on the roads I fear. I also give my arches a good wash. Also worth commenting the amount of muck that collects behind the wheel arch liners on the front!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 17:04   #5
Talago
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club SE Tourer 1969 Rover P6 3500 V8 1973 Rover P6 3500 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
Whilst looking at the rear brake discs on my 54 registered Contemporary SE Tourer I noticed a lot of rust on the rear sub frame, rear suspension mounts and fuel tank straps. I have arranged for the sub frame and suspension mounts to be removed, sand blasted, properly painted and put back with Waxoyl to save problems later as no doubt replacements are already unobtainable. I've been quoted about £300 for this. Rest of car is excellent but I had not expected so much rust in these hidden places. BEWARE!
Yes, I was cleaning up the brake pipes over the pit yesterday (MOT due) and was surprised at the amount of rust on the rear subframe. Rest of the car is spotless. No rust on bodywork or on floor at all.

Although the subframe looks festered, the metal seems to be quite thick so hopefully it will be ok. I plan to clean it all down and give it a coat of black paint.
Talago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:42   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talago View Post
Yes, I was cleaning up the brake pipes over the pit yesterday (MOT due) and was surprised at the amount of rust on the rear subframe. Rest of the car is spotless. No rust on bodywork or on floor at all.

Although the subframe looks festered, the metal seems to be quite thick so hopefully it will be ok. I plan to clean it all down and give it a coat of black paint.

A good spray all over with Dinitrol rust converter, followed by hard wax should add some protection to see you through the winter. The wax is harder than Waxoyl and doesn't seem to wash off so easy with the road spray.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:46   #7
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Sounds exactly the same as my car.
I would strongly recommend you use Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to kill the rust and then follow up with Dynax ub and Dynax s50 to coat.
No I am not a salesman for them.
But IMHO this stuff is light years ahead of the traditional stuff.
It seeps into the weld seams and sets there. (Traditional stuff does not do this, it just sits on top leaving the rust to get on with its work). These are the places you need to be concerning yourself with, as they are the places where the galvanizing was removed during production.

Get a pressure washer behind your wheel arches as well, there was a good fistful of earth on mine - a rust bomb waiting to go off...

Last edited by Dashiel; 31st October 2011 at 18:53..
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:57   #8
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

A product from Bilkhammer might be better than waxoyl.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 22:32   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
A product from Bilkhammer might be better than waxoyl.
This is it: http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introd...e=hydrate%2080

or if that don't work, this: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/bilt-h...ator-500ml.php

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 31st October 2011 at 22:34..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 22:45   #10
cabbers
Retired

62-reg Suzuki SX4 SZ5 1.6i AWD / 07-reg Audi S3 2.0 T FSI Quattro

i dont know weather i have a good one then but my w-reg 75 v6 as not got a bit of rust anywere, do the rover 75 rust easy then ???
cabbers is offline   Reply With Quote