Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2012, 17:28   #1
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

2002 MG ZT 260 (007), 2003 MG ZT-T 260 SE, 2004 75 CDTI Tourer

Default Stability Control Warning Light

One for the boffins??

I am concerned that at some point -sooner rather than later - this will become an MOT failure even though it was never a feature on production ZTs. So I am looking for ideas on what to do.

Clearly (or not), I could replace the IPK with a standard one (if still available), BUT as I believe this IPK to be a one off, it might not be possible to code a new one to the car particularly if a T4 will (probably) not talk to the car. Also a little loathe to play with the internals in case the dash never works again!!

Simples really.
I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues. http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...lies/smile.png

tonybubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 17:38   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Sorry I cannot help with your problem, but just purely out of interest, is that a genuine mileage?
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 17:46   #3
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Sorry I cannot help with your problem, but just purely out of interest, is that a genuine mileage?
It was, but is now 8100.
I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues. http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...lies/smile.png

Old 21st February 2012, 17:50   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Outstanding, it is hard to believe that they are still around with mileages like that. I wish I could have found one that looked after!

I always seem to find the lemons

Sorry to hijack your thread, will shut up now!
Old 21st February 2012, 18:00   #5
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Outstanding, it is hard to believe that they are still around with mileages like that. I wish I could have found one that looked after!

I always seem to find the lemons

Sorry to hijack your thread, will shut up now!
No apologies necessary, Rich. Here's the rest of it:

Old 21st February 2012, 18:11   #6
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Does the car have stabillity controll or just an IPK quirk?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 18:12   #7
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Makes mine look like something you scraped off the bottom of yours!
Old 21st February 2012, 18:13   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybubble View Post
BUT as I believe this IPK to be a one off, it might not be possible to code a new one to the car particularly if a T4 will (probably) not talk to the car. Also a little loathe to play with the internals in case the dash never works again!!
Several T4 owning members (here and there) have sussed far more of its capabilities than the originators intended, so resetting and adjusting IPKs goes beyond what MGR depots ever knew. I'd be very surprised if a T4 wouldn't communicate with yours, the stability function notwithstanding. I'd suggest contacting one of those members rather than having an outside 'expert' tell you the car cannot be fixed.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 18:16   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

look closely under the bonnet at the picture gents, that is a unique 75, only petrol one that doesn't have a throttle cable for starters

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 18:27   #10
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Several T4 owning members (here and there) have sussed far more of its capabilities than the originators intended, so resetting and adjusting IPKs goes beyond what MGR depots ever knew. I'd be very surprised if a T4 wouldn't communicate with yours, the stability function notwithstanding. I'd suggest contacting one of those members rather than having an outside 'expert' tell you the car cannot be fixed.

TC
That was the purpose of my post. I would like to know what a T4 would do or not do.

This is Nick's report on the car from 2008 (without photos):

" 1. Photograph 1 shows the centre console with a row of 5 oval switches. The 3 centre switches are for the Cruise Control, Smartnav (stand alone navigation system) and Traction Control disable. The Smartnav switch is not connected but as the car has its own navigation system via the screen this is not an issue. The Cruise Control switch, although when pressed lights up in green telltale, does not function whatsoever when the steering wheel Cruise Control engage switches are pressed. The traction control switch does not appear to do anything when pressed.

2. When the air conditioning controls are removed (Photograph 2) this reveals an industrial-like red emergency stop switch. This switch has two wires which are part of the main wiring harness and when the switch is pressed it cuts power to the engine management electronic control unit (ECU). This is not a standard feature on any production MG Rover car and I would postulate that it has been specially added for testing and engineering purposes only.

3. The instrument pack (Photograph 3) has a permanent warning lamp illuminated for stability control. This was not a feature available on any MG ZT derived car and its continuous illumination suggests a fault with the system. A brief road test establishes that the Anti Lock Braking System (ABS) is still functioning, however from a standing start, when a deliberate wheel spin is provoked, there is no traction control enabled at any time. The instrument pack itself is a non standard engineering sample (Photograph 4).

4. The stability control system works in tandem via a non standard ABS ECU and modulator assembly made by TRW (no photograph as it is concealed from direct view) and the engine control module (ECM) (Photographs 5, 6 and 7) which controls the non standard ‘drive-by wire throttle system’ (Photograph 8).

5. The engine also has a unique air filter, resonator and induction system
(Photograph 9).

6. There are a number of indicators, as can be seen on the engine management system (EMS), that this car has been engineered for the future forthcoming tightened emissions regulations known as EU4. Photographs 10 and 11 show the exhaust manifold system which now incorporates 3 catalytic convertors instead of the usual 2. All of the exhaust parts are unique to this car and service replacements would not be available from the usual sources.

7. The coolant header tank which is located near the radiator is a new design(Photograph 12) and has been relocated near the O/S/F suspension strut. This also incorporates a low coolant level sensor and although the coolant level is full an erroneous message appears on the instrument pack warning of low coolant.

8. The car has been built with a xenon dipped beam lighting system and cars sold with this system must have headlamp pressure wash and an automatic light levelling system to counteract heavy loads at the rear. The automatic levelling system works in conjunction with a rear suspension height sensor fitted to the O/S/R suspension and a front suspension height level sensor fitted to the O/S/F suspension. The O/S/F sensor assembly is completely missing and the wiring harness which it connects to is hanging loose above the front subframe
(Photograph 13). This means the levelling system is completely non operational.

9. The radio system is a remote unit located in the spare wheel well. This unit is faulty and cuts out intermittently (this has been proven by fitting a known good unit in its place for a long period of time without fault). The mounting bracket to secure it to the R/H area of the wheel well is missing
(Photograph 14).

10. The engine immobiliser system is an engineering sample for testing (Photograph 15) and also has a serial connector (presumed for software programming via connection to a laptop). The engine immobiliser system is sourced from BMW parts and stores electronic data which matches data stored inside the ignition key. Normally the procedure for ordering spare keys is via matching data held on BMW databases for this unit. However since this unit is experimental this makes the normal procedure not a viable option.

11. The TV system does not work. Investigative work after partially removing the headlining reveals that both N/S and O/S TV aerial amplifier units are missing and therefore gives no direct connection to the side window aerial connections."