Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2011, 11:43   #1
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Angry MOT Failure.

Grrrrrrr, my car has just failed it's MOT today....Parking brake efficiency below requirement..........Nearside rear hub wheel bearing rough when rotated..(Only had a brand new one fitted 12mths ago.)........Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded......Off side (front to rear) brake pipe excessively corroded..........Parking brake lever has no reserve travel.
Any advice for me please...ie; cost of parts, easy to do oneself... Poppy

Last edited by Poppy; 29th March 2011 at 13:08.. Reason: Wish to delete this thread as it is in the wrong section.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 13:05   #2
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Grrrrrrr, my car has just failed it's MOT today....Parking brake efficiency below requirement..........Nearside rear hub wheel bearing rough when rotated..(Only had a brand new one fitted 12mths ago.)........Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded......Off side (front to rear) brake pipe excessively corroded..........Parking brake lever has no reserve travel.
What engine have you got?

My car needs rear brake pipes and the whole rear end subframe needs to come out to do it (if it is done properly) but yours might be different...

You probably need a whole new rear brake setup to sort the hand brake.

If the brake pipes are easily accessible I wouldnt have thought it would be massive money, but you could well be looking at a £500+ MOT if a mechanic does it...
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 13:25   #3
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
What engine have you got?

My car needs rear brake pipes and the whole rear end subframe needs to come out to do it (if it is done properly) but yours might be different...

You probably need a whole new rear brake setup to sort the hand brake.

If the brake pipes are easily accessible I wouldnt have thought it would be massive money, but you could well be looking at a £500+ MOT if a mechanic does it...

WHAT.!!!!!!!!!! I have a 1.8... Looked at the brake pipe on ebay, only 13 quid for 25ft... As for the hand brake i think it is a fiddle.. I only had the full cables renewed just over a year ago..... Could it be the shoes.? Poppy
Old 29th March 2011, 13:27   #4
GT Courier

Billy No Car

I could well be wrong as I only really know about my car which has a different engine, but I am staring down the barrel of a £500-£1000 bill to get the handbrake sorted!

My brake pipes are not quite a failure yet....
Old 29th March 2011, 13:34   #5
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Courier View Post
I could well be wrong as I only really know about my car which has a different engine, but I am staring down the barrel of a £500-£1000 bill to get the handbrake sorted!

My brake pipes are not quite a failure yet....
MY GOD..... The full cable set is only about 30 quid... It is a hard job to do granted... But 500-1000 squid...eeeeeeek Poppy
Old 29th March 2011, 13:45   #6
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
MY GOD..... The full cable set is only about 30 quid... It is a hard job to do granted... But 500-1000 squid...eeeeeeek Poppy
just dont take it to the muppet that messed it up last time , the guy with the greasy overalls.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 13:56   #7
GT Courier

Billy No Car

Quote:

Sorry, not very well explained, that is for the handbrake issue to be fixed, but basically needs new rear discs as the handbrake operates on drums within the discs...

If yours operates in a similar way you might need new discs and thus shoes and pads too, but it shouldnt be anywhere as near expensive on yours.

I am thinking:

Rear Discs £60
Pads £30
Shoes £30
Labour two hours

Brake Pipes £20
Labour 2 hours

Bearing £15
Labour 1 Hour

Say labour £50

£250 labour
£155 Parts

£405 + VAT

£486

If you can do it yourself all the better, I know I couldn't but then I am a complete wally when it comes to home mechanics (and maybe other things )

I am sure someone who really knows will be along shortly
Old 29th March 2011, 13:09   #8
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Angry MOT Failure.

Old 29th March 2011, 14:04   #9
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
As for the parking brake, adjustment is not difficult, removing wheels and discs to clean out drums and shoes and adjusting them is not a difficult job. The shoes can be adjusted without removing the discs, through one of the wheel stud holes, adjuster is at the top. Cable adjuster for parking brake is in front of the handbrake lever, remove the leather 'boot' on consul and tighten the nut on the adjuster, if no adjustment is possible, new cable may be needed. Brake pipes are only DIY if you have the tools, not worth buying for a one-off job, not that expensive to get done by garage. Rear Hub, don't know, but can't be defective after 12 months
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 14:39   #10
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
As for the parking brake, adjustment is not difficult, removing wheels and discs to clean out drums and shoes and adjusting them is not a difficult job. The shoes can be adjusted without removing the discs, through one of the wheel stud holes, adjuster is at the top. Cable adjuster for parking brake is in front of the handbrake lever, remove the leather 'boot' on consul and tighten the nut on the adjuster, if no adjustment is possible, new cable may be needed. Brake pipes are only DIY if you have the tools, not worth buying for a one-off job, not that expensive to get done by garage. Rear Hub, don't know, but can't be defective after 12 months
Hiya. I thiught the same about the hub too... I shall get my brother to check it for me...The biggest thing is getting the pipes made up to the same shape and size...Everything else is "doable" me thinks....Poppy