Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th September 2012, 07:05   #1
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Lightbulb K-Series 18K4 Piston Conrod Disassembly and Fitting Technique

Outline of how to reuse your existing conrod and fit a new piston.

The Conrod LFF000410 and Piston in this particular example is from a 1.8 Turbo engine, this model has a slightly shorter conrod and a different piston compared to the standard NASP models.

Given that there are no circlip retainers to hold the gudgeon pin into the piston, the k-series gudgeon pin is a tight fit in the conrod in order to limit movement of the pin.

Unless the correct hydraulic press or tooling is available when removing the gudgeon pin the piston and/or conrod will be irreparably damaged. In most cases it probably does not matter if the piston gets damaged as it may be changed out anyway in the majority of cases.

Yenmak liners and pistons were used on this occasion, but I have carried out the same process with Goetze liners and AE/Nurall OE pistons too. The quality of the Yenmak parts are every bit as good as the OE supplied in my opinion.

1. First step is to carefully cut the piston crown and sides in half with a hacksaw avoiding marking the top of the conrod with the saw blade and inducing stress cracks.

2. Remove cut halves exposing gudgeon pin.

3. Using a deep 21mm socket I pressed the gudgeon pin out with my trusty vice and a little persuasion from a 1 3/4lb hammer.

4. Eventually the pin will require another socket to push the pin out fully.

5. Clean out the conrod small end and observe for any nicks or damages that may hinder the fitting of the new gudgeon pin.

6. I am led to believe that the factory rods were induction heated in an automated process. However for me this means I have to heat the small end up just enough until the temper colour starts to appear and no more than that. Any higher a temperature and you risk annealing the conrod.

7. Place the piston quickly over the top of the hot conrod and insert the pre-oiled gudgeon pin inserting quickly in to the small end and ensure that the pin is through far enough. You only get one chance at this so ensure that everything is in place. Note that I used a 6mm anchor bolt fixing to hold the gudgeon pin more securely. Note the direction of the arrow on the piston crown needs to point to the front of the engine. Also note that each conrod is numbered at the big end for each cylinder and these numbers also face the front of the engine.

Note the original damaged piston
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 07:17   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Excellent workaround if you haven't got access to a press.

I'm fortunate to have always had one but this is great.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 07:19   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Nice how to Gary, did your replacement pistons come complete with new gudgeon pins or did you reuse the originals?
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 07:22   #4
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Nice how to Gary, did your replacement pistons come complete with new gudgeon pins or did you reuse the originals?
Brian
Came with new gudgeon pins too, already fitted with rings, ready to go apart from fitting to the conrod of course.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:40   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Came with new gudgeon pins too, already fitted with rings, ready to go apart from fitting to the conrod of course.
Sounds good Gary, I'm reusing S/H pistons and liners where the big ends had "spun" and the rods from my original engine.
The pistons have already been removed in the same fashion as you described, the good pistons were removed from the U/S rods by drilling into the little end with a spot weld drill to relieve the stress on the gudgeon pin then pushing it out without damage to the piston.
My concerns related simply to removing the gudgeon pins from the rods without damage, to facilitate their reuse.
I'll post some pictures later
Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 13th September 2012 at 18:51..
Old 13th September 2012, 08:32   #6
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Wouldn't putting the gudgeon pins in the freezer overnight also help with assembly, less heat needed on the conrod small end.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 11:36   #7
Lovel

Quote:
Sounds good Gary, I'm reusing S/H pistons and liners where the big ends had "spun" and the rods from my original engine.
The pistons have already been removed in the same fashion as you described, the good pistons were removed from the U/S rods by drilling into the little end with a spot weld drill to relieve the stress on the gudgeon pin then pushing it out without damage to the piston.
My concerns related simply to removing the gudgeon pins from the rods without damage, to facilitate their reuse.
I'll post some pictures later
Brian
How much material had to be removed to get them free. I would have thought the pins would be pretty hard to machine
Old 14th September 2012, 11:38   #8
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Wouldn't putting the gudgeon pins in the freezer overnight also help with assembly, less heat needed on the conrod small end.
I'm would think that cooling the pins down would help marginally, but the most expansion you get will be from heating the conrod as per the factory method.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:58   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
How much material had to be removed to get them free. I would have thought the pins would be pretty hard to machine
Sorry Gary, I drilled two holes adjacent to one another through the casting of the little end of the rod, which was enough to relieve the tension on the gudgeon pin and enable them to be pushed out easily.
You are absolutely right in thinking the gudgeon pins would be to hard to machine
My pistons weren't as bad as the one is your picture, at least three weren't however after removing the rings and inspecting the skirts, the top compression ring groove had been slightly expanded, so I decided not to reuse them.
Just out of interest how much were your piston sets ?
And I couldn't find any problem with your emailed excel file, would I be right in thinking you were utilising a Discovery II key
Brian
Old 14th September 2012, 22:51   #10
Lovel

Quote:
Sorry Gary, I drilled two holes adjacent to one another through the casting of the little end of the rod, which was enough to relieve the tension on the gudgeon pin and enable them to be pushed out easily.
You are absolutely right in thinking the gudgeon pins would be to hard to machine
My pistons weren't as bad as the one is your picture, at least three weren't however after removing the rings and inspecting the skirts, the top compression ring groove had been slightly expanded, so I decided not to reuse them.
Just out of interest how much were your piston sets ?
And I couldn't find any problem with your emailed excel file, would I be right in thinking you were utilising a Discovery II key
Brian
The Yenmak piston and liner set were £230, pretty good value when you see them in the flesh, I was sceptical of their quality at first, but once seen you can tell they are good. I also priced up the original fittment pistons and liners but they were £430 for a set, so I thought would give the Yenmaks a go this time instead of AE/Nurall/Goezte.

Trechii sell the Yenmaks for £230/set
Lymmengineparts.co.uk sell the OE AE/Nurall/Goetze liners for around £430/set

The key I was trying was from a 75. In fact I have tried a couple of other 75 keys with same results with only half the barcode being correct