Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2010, 12:01   #1
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Default White paint spots on Royal Blue Car!

Hi - some advice needed please:lol:

Recently bought a conny tourer with about a five hundred tiny pin head sized white points on the bonnet. Apparently the previous owners neighbours had been having some of the exterior paint work done, and some of the spray blew over....

I've already tried nail polish remover, and white spirit, with no effect on the spots. I don't want to t-cut it, even with the t-cut for metallic/ pearlescent as I'd wear a good bit of the lacquer off, and maybe get down to the paint, trying to take off the half mm deep paint spots.

I've tried scrapping with wood, plastic spoon, with no effect. The point of iron knife works, but it's impossible not to damage the laquer and paint a bit in the process - I dont' want to turn 500 spots into 500 holes or scratches.

So - over to the experts as usual - what do I do now!
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 12:05   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I would say a machine polish by an expert would be the best way to deal with this problem.
I'm sure the likes of Deano75 will be along to confirm or deny. And advise the best option.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 12:11   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

As GG says, go to a detailer (not a valeter), they'll save it. If Deano isb't close by, I'm sure he'll know someone close by.

Failing that, try Detailing World...an excellent site
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 14:00   #4
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Thanks Grey Ghost and Greeners, and for the recommendations.

Already spent £500 in the last month or son on the car (synergy, pierburgh, all the filters, egr replacement, set of crowns and tires, all the gliptone stuff etc) so was hoping to diy it if possible - hence my efforts so far.

I'll go an take a look at Detailing world now... but if anyone has any brilliant ideas in the meantime...

Cheers
Leander
Old 13th February 2010, 14:19   #5
Kai Herb
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT+ 2.5 160

How about trying some Detailing Clay ? , you can remove a fair bit of contamination and its not too expensive.
Kai Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 14:35   #6
Leander
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Herb View Post
How about trying some Detailing Clay ? , you can remove a fair bit of contamination and its not too expensive.
Thanks for the suggestion.

From the little I understand about detailing clay, it's quite a mild abrasive, so would take a lot of work to remove paint spots (but someone correct me if I'm wrong).

More problemically, as I'd be rubbing the spots, I'd also be rubbing - again a lot - on the surrounding paintwork, which I imagine can only take so much.

I hoped there was some kind of solvent out there - like acetone or white spirit (tried those) - that would loosen the spots without damaging the lacquer or the paint below.
Old 13th February 2010, 14:46   #7
Kai Herb
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT+ 2.5 160

The problem is that anything that will "dissolve" the white paint will more than likely damage the original paint.

A clay does not in itself damage the paint , its usually the contamination (dirt etc) that does the damage which is why its important to fold the clay often.

Halfords and other motor factors do a Meguires kit for around £20 which is fairly safe and well regarded.

Kai Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 15:33   #8
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
I would say a machine polish by an expert would be the best way to deal with this problem.
I'm sure the likes of Deano75 will be along to confirm or deny. And advise the best option.
thanks for putting 3 years on me there.

clay should shift it. there are varying grades of abrasivness to tackle most jobs. failing that a decon kit would work but would only suggest that as a last resort.

only prob with using a heavy duty clay is that it will leave its own marring on the paintwork that will need machine polishing out.
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 15:36   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
I actually took them off. You are most welcome.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 15:40   #10
Leander
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post

clay should shift it. there are varying grades of abrasivness to tackle most jobs. failing that a decon kit would work but would only suggest that as a last resort.

only prob with using a heavy duty clay is that it will leave its own marring on the paintwork that will need machine polishing out.

Thanks deano78. Looks like I know what my options are now. It just amazes me those tiny spots of white can cling on so tightly. Glue would come off more easily....