Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2015, 09:40   #1
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rear cup holders in the front?

Hi all,

I'm new here but so far loving my new 75. It does however lack cup holders in the front. I know there are some available in the two side bits on the console but I am looking at fitting a head unit in there and mounting an Android tablet in the DD space as several others have done.

I had a look about and on my car there are no electric seats and the locks/hazard lights are down by the handbrake. This leaves a blank strip of walnut on the console. Any idea how hard (or even possible) would it be to fit the same double cup holder that is in the rear seat in there. My car is an auto so that will reduce the risk of knocking while driving. I may not be able to get in park with them out but if I'm parked I can hold the cup in my hand.

I have not even taken the strip off yet to see whats in there - just wondered if anyone thought it possible.

Everso.
Everso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 10:05   #2
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everso View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here but so far loving my new 75. It does however lack cup holders in the front. I know there are some available in the two side bits on the console but I am looking at fitting a head unit in there and mounting an Android tablet in the DD space as several others have done.

I had a look about and on my car there are no electric seats and the locks/hazard lights are down by the handbrake. This leaves a blank strip of walnut on the console. Any idea how hard (or even possible) would it be to fit the same double cup holder that is in the rear seat in there. My car is an auto so that will reduce the risk of knocking while driving. I may not be able to get in park with them out but if I'm parked I can hold the cup in my hand.

I have not even taken the strip off yet to see whats in there - just wondered if anyone thought it possible.

Everso.
Are you meaning inbetween the ashtray and the heater controls? This is usually for switches for heated seats, cruise, rear blind ETC. These can be retro fitted to the car if that is what you wanted to do instead

PM77
pm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 10:09   #3
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

There's a 'framework' of plastic behind that panel to locate the wires/switches for additional toys as described above. Not sure how easy it would be to remove that stuff, might take a hot knife to melt your way through it. I wouldn't know if the cup holder would fit but it's a good idea! A bit of measurement and head scratching required.

If you do go ahead please take pics and keep us updated, I for one would be interested to see how you get on and I'm sure if it's a success others will follow your lead.
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 10:19   #4
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

From memory someone has fitted an aftermarket cup holder in the recess above the radio, details are on a thread somewhere
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 10:31   #5
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

So - that's not a no then .

Looks like they have something similar on land/range rovers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walnut-Rea...item2597ba7b1f

I figure I'll have a look see this weekend. Easiest will be to take the one out of the rear seat and see if it will even go. If it does and ends in staying put I just need to get another one to drop back into the rear. I'll take pictures and report back if it works. Ultimate would be to retain the walnut strip and glue it on so it looks totally OEM .

This is of course after I get the lighter fixed on the wife's Toyota

Everso
Old 25th March 2015, 13:01   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
There's a 'framework' of plastic behind that panel to locate the wires/switches for additional toys as described above. Not sure how easy it would be to remove that stuff, might take a hot knife to melt your way through it. I wouldn't know if the cup holder would fit but it's a good idea! A bit of measurement and head scratching required.

If you do go ahead please take pics and keep us updated, I for one would be interested to see how you get on and I'm sure if it's a success others will follow your lead.
the plastic framework behind that switch panel simply unclips from the top of the ashtray unit, the panel can be removed by levering from one end with a broad flat blade (i.e. butter knife).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Apex View Post
From memory someone has fitted an aftermarket cup holder in the recess above the radio, details are on a thread somewhere
I recall seeing something about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everso View Post
So - that's not a no then .

Looks like they have something similar on land/range rovers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walnut-Rea...item2597ba7b1f

I figure I'll have a look see this weekend. Easiest will be to take the one out of the rear seat and see if it will even go. If it does and ends in staying put I just need to get another one to drop back into the rear. I'll take pictures and report back if it works. Ultimate would be to retain the walnut strip and glue it on so it looks totally OEM .

This is of course after I get the lighter fixed on the wife's Toyota

Everso
Should be possible, you'll have to check to see if it'll fit in there and if there's enough clearance for it to pop-out. if so you can use the unclipped switch frame as a basis for fabricating a carrier for it (then of course you'll want to put the walnut panel back over the top to conceal it and make it look good). .

I'd get down the scrappy and get an ashtray unit with the panel and frame above and a rear seat cup holder and whatever holds it into the rear seat and then get the cutters/hacksaw and glue gun out. Photo's please when finished.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 14:36   #7
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I know this sounds silly - but seems to be in the ethos of this club... I'm quite looking forward to giving this a go. If I can get it to work and retain the OEM look by keeping the strip in place that will certainly be a win as far as I am concerned. I think it will be tight and may be a "automatics only" thing but we will see when I get in there this weekend.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:06   #8
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Some one on here as already done this it was above the radio
I'll have look for the thread
Alan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 15:40   #9
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

Yes, someone (earlier this year) took the rear cup holder from a SEAT and put it in the front of a R75/MG for similar reasons -adding other units. Pics were included. Search for SEAT on the forum.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 18:01   #10
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Soooo.... I did some searching and believe I found the thread(s) where this was done. They all seem to involve a single DIN unit and using the space it leaves.

But as I am looking at a navall (yeah - almost defiantly probably maybe getting one) then it needs to go lower down...