Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2008, 13:54   #1
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Default How oftern can you use a DA on your car.

I will shortly be taking delivery of a Meguiars G220 (hopefully) and will commence using it as soon as the weather permits. In fact its will be my first time using any kind of machine polisher.

Anyway, I was just wondering how often you can give a car a full detail with a machine polisher? My Rover 75 is 2 years old but I think it needs a full job as it has a lot of swirl marks and other minor(ish) damage. I don't think my car was ever polished with a machine as I have owned it from new, although it may have been done before I bought it as it was sitting in a garage for over a year before I purchased.

Doesn't each polish remove a small amount of paint? So there is probably a max number of times that you can polish a car?

Also is MGR paint hard or soft? My pearl black seems to pick up scratches all the time

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:06   #2
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

If you use a white pad (non cutting variety), don't press too hard and don't go too fast, then there's little difference between using a machine or by hand to apply 'normal' polish.

I've used mine a couple of times to apply wax, with excellent and effort free results!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 15:07   #3
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Just did a light PC mop of mine for the 1st time for the meet tommorow, be prepared to be knackered.

Takes a bit getting used to.

Stubie
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 20:00   #4
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
be prepared to be knackered.
How come? Is the PC so different than the Megs 220?

I've found it really easy to use!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 20:54   #5
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Never spent 3 hours cleaning a car, firstly with a swirl remover and then all over with polish.

Stubs
Old 4th May 2008, 16:19   #6
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
I will shortly be taking delivery of a Meguiars G220 (hopefully) and will commence using it as soon as the weather permits. In fact its will be my first time using any kind of machine polisher.

Anyway, I was just wondering how often you can give a car a full detail with a machine polisher? My Rover 75 is 2 years old but I think it needs a full job as it has a lot of swirl marks and other minor(ish) damage. I don't think my car was ever polished with a machine as I have owned it from new, although it may have been done before I bought it as it was sitting in a garage for over a year before I purchased.

Doesn't each polish remove a small amount of paint? So there is probably a max number of times that you can polish a car?

Also is MGR paint hard or soft? My pearl black seems to pick up scratches all the time
I hope i dont come across as having a go, really i'm not, but 3 hrs isnt long enough to have used a pc and a swirl remover (effectively), check the polish is fully broken down or you'll be left with holograms and buffer trails. how often you can machine a car depends on the cars paint and also the level of aggresiveness in the pad and polish combo you are using. thats why i always use a paint gauge. I did a brand spanking new corsa yesterday and the drivers door was down to 75 microns (which is low) because some muppet at the dealer had got a bit too carried away with the mop. if i hadnt used the paint gauge, there was a strong possibility i would have struck through the clear coat with the rotary. 75 paint is pretty solid in general, on the other hand honda paint is soft as butter and a very mild polish is usually enough for swirl removal. remember to always start with the least aggressive pad and polish and see what correction you get from that, if nothing happens then step up to the next level. as long as you follow a good wash techinque (two bucket method) the swirls will stay at bay for a good while. remember to do lots of passes moving the machine at about 1inch per second, in an area about 2ft by 2ft, and fully work the polish until it is clear, if you dint do this the abrasivs in the polish wont be broken down and you'll get holograms (like a shiny film over your car, looks awful).

Last edited by deano78; 4th May 2008 at 16:23..
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 17:39   #7
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
I hope i dont come across as having a go, really i'm not, but 3 hrs isnt long enough to have used a pc and a swirl remover (effectively), check the polish is fully broken down or you'll be left with holograms and buffer trails. how often you can machine a car depends on the cars paint and also the level of aggresiveness in the pad and polish combo you are using. thats why i always use a paint gauge. I did a brand spanking new corsa yesterday and the drivers door was down to 75 microns (which is low) because some muppet at the dealer had got a bit too carried away with the mop. if i hadnt used the paint gauge, there was a strong possibility i would have struck through the clear coat with the rotary. 75 paint is pretty solid in general, on the other hand honda paint is soft as butter and a very mild polish is usually enough for swirl removal. remember to always start with the least aggressive pad and polish and see what correction you get from that, if nothing happens then step up to the next level. as long as you follow a good wash techinque (two bucket method) the swirls will stay at bay for a good while. remember to do lots of passes moving the machine at about 1inch per second, in an area about 2ft by 2ft, and fully work the polish until it is clear, if you dint do this the abrasivs in the polish wont be broken down and you'll get holograms (like a shiny film over your car, looks awful).
3 hours will give at least 90% correction using Final Finish on a polishing pad.

A PC won't remove more than a couple of microns at a time unless you are hitting it with a compounding pad and powergloss.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 18:30   #8
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Yeah I would agree 3 hours isn't long enough but it was my first go and I wanted a general improvement in the paintwork for the meet.

I wanted to polish some scratched which had been touched up and get that mirror finish but alas just looks a bit more polished than doing it by hand.

When I have more time I will give it another go and hopefully get the technique.

Stubs
Old 4th May 2008, 21:58   #9
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by empsburna View Post
3 hours will give at least 90% correction using Final Finish on a polishing pad.

A PC won't remove more than a couple of microns at a time unless you are hitting it with a compounding pad and powergloss.
final finish didnt even touch the lightest of swirls on my 75. took IP and a polishing pad with the rotary, even a couple of hits of power gloss on the bonnet, unless the paint varies with cowley/longbridge models? i still couldnt wash,dry and get 90% correction on 3 hrs using a DA! I must be slow.lol.

Last edited by deano78; 4th May 2008 at 22:02..
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 22:34   #10
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
final finish didnt even touch the lightest of swirls on my 75. took IP and a polishing pad with the rotary, even a couple of hits of power gloss on the bonnet, unless the paint varies with cowley/longbridge models? i still couldnt wash,dry and get 90% correction on 3 hrs using a DA! I must be slow.lol.
All the ones i've done have been longbridge models - interesting insight, next time i'l get the PTG out and do a complete Paul D style checksheet!

I have to admit the bonnets on these are painted differently - something not right about them!

The only time the makita went close to a ZT was on the bonnet of an anthracite on - and even IP on a 6" Orange got them right out in 2 passes - it took me longer to get the marring out with the FF!
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote