Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2023, 15:08   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Possessed by evil spirit...

My Contemporary has developed a malevolent streak.
Failed fuel pump, then leaking cooling rail, now the drivers electric seat won't move backwards/forwards (the motor is trying to work, I can hear it cluncking when I use the rocker switch and rest of the functions work OK) and now the washer reservoir is leaking...!!
I've fixed the pump and fitted a new cooling rail - any suggestions for the seat (I've checked the cabin fuse box - F9/49/51/53 all OK) as it's stuck in the most rearward position and I can't get at the two rear seat rail bolts (I've already pulled the multi-plug under the seat and put some contact grease in the 6 pin sockets) 'cos I can't take her out to test that the rail/pipes are functioning/water tight.....!!

Last edited by rab60bit; 13th May 2023 at 19:02..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2023, 18:07   #2
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

you need a priest
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2023, 07:34   #3
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony g View Post
you need a priest
You rang. .

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2023, 09:00   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
... the drivers electric seat won't move backwards/forwards (the motor is trying to work, I can hear it cluncking when I use the rocker switch and rest of the functions work OK) ... any suggestions for the seat ...
This could be a mechanical drive problem from what you've reported. With the seat at maximum height, can you get at the rail bolts then?

Simon
Old 14th May 2023, 11:45   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
This could be a mechanical drive problem from what you've reported. With the seat at maximum height, can you get at the rail bolts then?

Simon
With the seat in it's present [stuck] position the 2 front bolts are fully accessible but the 2 rear bolts are 'masked' by the upper (that's the rail fitted to the seat frame) seat rail, the seat has to slide forward about 2" to reveal the rear bolt heads and to completely unfasten them.
I believe there is a way to manually rotate the two pinions that drive on the seat rack from the front [transverse] motor but I'm not sure how to get at them - removing the two flexi drives I suppose but how....?
Update 14/05 8pm: Got the motor assembly/torgue beam removed, split the two-pin plug then wired motor end direct to a battery - runs free and turns both pinion drive wires so I guess it's the switch contacts next....that's for tomorrow

Last edited by rab60bit; 14th May 2023 at 20:11..
Old 16th May 2023, 20:07   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
With the seat in it's present [stuck] position the 2 front bolts are fully accessible but the 2 rear bolts are 'masked' by the upper (that's the rail fitted to the seat frame) seat rail, the seat has to slide forward about 2" to reveal the rear bolt heads and to completely unfasten them.
I believe there is a way to manually rotate the two pinions that drive on the seat rack from the front [transverse] motor but I'm not sure how to get at them - removing the two flexi drives I suppose but how....?
Update 14/05 8pm: Got the motor assembly/torgue beam removed, split the two-pin plug then wired motor end direct to a battery - runs free and turns both pinion drive wires so I guess it's the switch contacts next....that's for tomorrow
Well it turned out to be one/both of the pinion gearboxes somehow jammed up. I ended up removing the forward/rearward motor (that's the one below the front of the seat) and torque arm assembly (including the flexi drive shafts which with a bit of twisting/lifting just pop out from their respective gearboxes when everything is free) - first disconnecting the air bag etc.underseat plugs.
I then used a flat blade electrical screwdriver which fortunately was just the right size to fit inside the drive 'tunnel' and across the diagonal of the hidden square drive socket and discovered both gearboxes were 'jammed'. A little bit of gentle twirling soon freed them off and I then manually wound them forward so as to clear the rear end of the rack slide to gain access to the two rear seat torx bolts. Once the seat was free I had a bit more room to work in, remounted the motor assembly and Shazam....it all worked as it should. Removed the motor assembly once again and manually synchronised the two gearbox drives (used the front of the seat rail as a datum) and then put the whole lot back together, gave the carpet area a good vacuum, bolted the seat back in place and viola, we're good to go.
No iedea why it jammed in the first place, maybe someone can come up with a parallel experience.
Old 17th May 2023, 07:08   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Congratulations John on a logical repair, successfully overcoming the initial difficulty.
Thanks also for reporting back in detail. I'm pleased that my musings in post no. 4 turned out to be true!

Simon