Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th April 2018, 21:39   #1
Tingers
Regular poster

Remapped Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi SE Saloon

Unhappy Another Passenger Door Stuck Shut

With apologies to all for raising this much noted topic but it is my turn to suffer the "broken door lock door won't open" saga.

My front passenger door has had a few problems over the last 9 months. It started with the locking mechanism not obeying the key fob but allowing me to open the door using the inside handle. The handles (both inner and outer) then went through a phase of not working before miraculously repairing themselves a couple of weeks before the MOT was due.

I am now, however, in the position of many others before me whereby I cannot open the passenger door. The key fob doesn't appear to activate any movement and neither inner or outer handles do anything. Holding the door knob up made no difference.

I have removed the door card (having removed the door seal and glove box to create a bit more space and cursing a lot) and can reach in to touch the lock. Things were moving inside when I pulled the inner handle and door knob but the latch wouldn't release. To make matters worse this evening - I somehow managed to disconnect the cable from the inner handle and then the door knob fell off into the depths of the door.

I was going to soak the lock in WD40 as suggested in other posts but when it started to self destruct I gave up for the time being - my baby is obviously not happy!

I have read threads about this problem but have yet to determine if it is possible to either open the door in this situation or remove the locking mechanism from inside? If the latter is possible would the door then open or would the latch remain in place to hold the door closed?

I guess I'll have to try and re-connect the cable first though...

Thanking everyone in advance

Tingers

She's the love of my life - the wife's not too bad either
Tingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 22:45   #2
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

Default reassemble and lubricate

Hi,this does sound like a case of very carefully recovering the parts and putting it back together. WD40 should release things. Some light sprayable grease can assist too (make sure it is a light grade). Good luck!
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 19:58   #3
Tingers
Regular poster

Yeah - I feel a weekend of fun coming on! Mind you I've no idea how to disassemble the lock unit with the door firmly shut. I'll prepare myself for a 'session' - either that or I cut the grass.

Cheers!

Old 30th May 2018, 15:43   #4
Tingers
Regular poster

Update on my problems with the passenger door - it still won't open. Would the lock be deadlocked in some way that disconnecting the battery would release? Before I try this has anyone else had to resort to such measures and, if so, were they successful?

I'm starting to think a chainsaw to the door may be the only solution...