Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st October 2008, 19:10   #1
chunkytrucker
Regular poster

2005 tourer contemporary se 1.8t

Default Wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other night our 75 decided not to start, the central locking sounded a bit sluggish and then the car wouldnt start,ignition lights on but wouldnt turn over.i thought that maybe the kids had left a light on or something , anyway i jump started the car and put the battery on charge for 5 hrs even though the battery had a greenlight displayed to indicate that it was okay.next morning it started fine for my wife to go to work and at teatime when she wanted to come home the same thing happened again,car wouldnt start and needed jump starting. any ideas what could be the problem? i wait for morning to see if she will start!!
chunkytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 19:13   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

New battery required I should think. Our cars need a battery in tip top condition.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 19:15   #3
billnick
Loves to post

ex 75

have you got hi-line sat nav, if you have, check that its shutting down correctly (red light goes out on unit)

regards bill.
billnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 19:15   #4
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Wink

I would say you need a new battery but have the output of the alternator checked to. If you have a volt meter with the engine running it shouild read around 13.5 volts.

Good Luck.

E.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 19:16   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Sounds like the battery is ready to give up or you have a drain on it.

Do you have sat nav in the boot? these have been known to stay on and drain the battery?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 20:26   #6
chunkytrucker
Regular poster

2005 tourer contemporary se 1.8t

thanks for the advice. i've just gone in the boot and checked the sat nav unit(on the right behind trim panel) it wasnt on but as soon as the car is unlocked the light comes on. then the light goes out when the car is locked. does this all sound normal? am i also to believe that the green light on the battery to indicate that all is well doesnt in fact mean that?
chunkytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 20:34   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytrucker View Post
thanks for the advice. i've just gone in the boot and checked the sat nav unit(on the right behind trim panel) it wasnt on but as soon as the car is unlocked the light comes on. then the light goes out when the car is locked. does this all sound normal? am i also to believe that the green light on the battery to indicate that all is well doesnt in fact mean that?

Sounds normal, sat nav usually shuts down a short while after car is locked etc. If the light stayed on then that would probably be your problem. Looks like the battery but as said by others check across battery terminals with a multimeter when engine running.

I once had a battery totaly flat but it still showed a green light !!

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:07   #8
Departed
Retired

--

The 'green light' (actually a green ball that floats) tells you that the acid concentration in that cell is OK, and is a good indicator of charge on a normal battery. However if one cell is duff the other cells might read alright, but the battery is still stuffed and the green ball is only sat in one cell.

Batteries can fail in a number of ways, including loss of electrolyte in one cell, sulphation of the plates, warping of the plates (rare) shorting of the plates. All of these have different symptoms, but need a new battery.

Only real way to tell is check the voltage. Check it with the engine running. Should be at least 13v. If the battery is well charged it will be over 12v. Close to 12v is low, less than 12v is flat to all intents and purposes.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:40   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

If it's the original Battery
ie Black with Rover part numbers on! It will almost certainly be time expired on a 2005 model.

I was changing Batts on 04 plates the year before last, and last year on 54 plates.
This year 05 plate regs are dying ............and so on.
Average life is 3 years as a very rough rule, but some fail sooner, some go on a lot longer, depending on usage.

BTW Chunky, your Avatar doesn't tell us if your car is Petrol or Diesel

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block

Last edited by Jules; 2nd October 2008 at 12:42..
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:42   #10
Vulcan69
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 SE

I'm suffering from battery woes as well. Been abroad for a while and it looks like my tourers battery gave up the ghost whilst i was away. My good lady wife was starting it regularly up until about 2 months ago and then suddenly nothing! I've tried recharging but it just doesn't seem willing to hold a charge anymore. Any recomendations (whether by cost or performance) for a suitable battery for a 2.5?? I don't mean to hijack your thread Chunky!!!
Vulcan69 is offline   Reply With Quote