Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th August 2016, 20:36   #1
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Default Changing tie rods

How hard is it to change inner and outer tie rods on a 75,is it a diy job or garage job
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 20:39   #2
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

If you mean the links between the rack and the track rod ends then I didn't think they were available and they were part of the rack?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 20:46   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
If you mean the links between the rack and the track rod ends then I didn't think they were available and they were part of the rack?
They are here:

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...-steering-rack

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...jb100180-lh-rh
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 21:01   #4
daverich
Regular poster

rover75 saloon cdti

Hi there are some how to video's on you tube, what i see of it is that you need a special tie rod spanner[ much like a long plumbers tap spanner] i don't know if this helps
David
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 21:26   #5
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

I grounded flats on the rounded part of of original tie rod and got a big open ended spanner on it. DIY job, the new tazu ones are poor quality.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 21:31   #6
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
These are the ones il be getting
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3310622762...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by steve1975; 5th August 2016 at 21:33..
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 05:08   #7
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

It's a fairly easy job but get your tracking checked after you do it. Many say measure the rods and count the turns when you take them off and screw new ones on but you can still be wrong
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 09:32   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Just done mine - the inners are available from DMGRS. Fairly straightforward job. Here's what to do:

1. Loosen wheel bolts, jack up car, support on stands, remove front wheels and undertray.
2. On side you are working on, turn steering so gaiter bellows are long (I actually also undid the ARB bush bracket and drop link to move ARB out of the way, but this may not be essential). Crack the locknut on the inner tie-rod/outer track rod joint (22mm nut, 19mm spanner to hold flat on track rod end).
3. Remove nut on outer track end to hub steering arm joint, and crack joint with a ball joint splitter or hammering. Unscrew the outer track rod end from inner tie rod. Note how many threads are visible on the inner tie rod to locknut, so you can re-assemble with the tracking still roughly 'in'.
4. Pull rubber gaiter off end of steering rack - you might want to cut the metal band or plastic tie on inner part of gaiter to make this easier - the outer part of gaiter is held with a spring clip that can be removed with long-nosed pliers.
5. Now unscrew the inner tie rod from end of rack- I used a Stillson pipe wrench for this, and they came off quite easily. To refit the new ones, put a drop of Loctite on the thread and screw onto the rack - the new ones I bought had flats on them that took a 32mm spanner, so use that to tighten. Then replace gaiter (with new inner clip if necessary), refit outer track end (or new one) positioning the lock nut so the thread length is the same as before, to maintain tracking.
6. The rest is a straight reversal of dismantling - best to get tracking re-done afterwards.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 11:46   #9
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
I grounded flats on the rounded part of of original tie rod and got a big open ended spanner on it. DIY job, the new tazu ones are poor quality.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
I second the above quote. I posted the attached a year or so ago FYI:

><
I bought MOOG ones their p/n VOAX-0358 They are actually for a VW Sharan. The last pair I bought came from Poland and they lasted 2 years !.

Looking at them, I need to hacksaw circa 3mm off the threaded part ( that screws into the rack ). Other than that, they are nigh on identical.

I beleive ( you'll need to check ) others are:

QH GR3266
Unipart GSJ1310
Delphi TA1673
First Line FTR4742

These are all VW Sharan or Ford Galaxay and ought to require the small mod i mentioned.
><

The small mod is to shorten the threaded stud ( the one that screws into the rack ) by around 3mm iirc.
hinged_bap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 12:23   #10
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

The ones from DMGRS are exactly the right length, and do not need any modification.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote