Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2014, 07:39   #1
Supergurrier

Focus ST

Default Is a ZT V8 the car for me ?

Hey guys

Jim here first time poster from Galway in the ROI.

Have had my current car for almost two years now a 2007 focus ST but I'm after abit of a change and have always wanted a V8. The focus is modified to around 300bhp but the ride is crashy and driveshafts and clutch give problems on these once you go 300+bhp.

Originally I wanted a Vauxhall monaro vxr but these are very expensive ATM and my Max budget is 8k sterling. All I want really is a V8 burble and something more practical with habit of comfort.

V8 mpg doesn't bother me as I'm currently getting 19mpg from my focus :pop

Is a nice black 2006 I have my eye on with the facelift grille around 6k.

A few questions.
Any known issues with these ?
Best cat back for about more noise ? (Been looking at the zero cat back so far and seems like good value) is only modification I will make besides maybe the bigger rear spoiler.
Is the car relatively brisk ? (No supercharger plans here)

My friends think I'm mad buying such an expensive to run car that only makes 259bhp from a big v8 but for me its not really about power and the whole Q car v8 thing really appeals to me. 300bhp from a cheap hatch feels manic so 260bhp from a refined saloon now that I'm turning 31 appeals much more if I'm honest.

Thanks a lot for your replies. Hopefully in a month or so I will have some pics to share.

Jim.
Supergurrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 08:08   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Is that at a dealer up north? If it is, he had two advertised but used same pics but one was a grand less. I think from memory the spec is low on it. I reckon for your budget tho, you could get more for your money

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 08:26   #3
Supergurrier

Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Is that at a dealer up north? If it is, he had two advertised but used same pics but one was a grand less. I think from memory the spec is low on it. I reckon for your budget tho, you could get more for your money
That's the one. Is seperate pics up for both now.

2006 one spec looks lower alright with single din stereo etc.

Still looks OK if could be got for 5500 cash and at least its easier to go north for a test drive (never driven one) and maybe if I leave a deposit they might leave the car with me for a day for an extended test drive and I can get my mechanic in galway to get it up on the ramp and give it a good once over. + in the trip back and over any mechanical maladies should become obvious + 1 year warranty on it I think.

Going to the UK for one you are talking almost 1k in expenses between flight/boat back if car checks out and an RAC/AA check (imagine how gutted you would be if car turned out to be a lemon) compared to fuel on a trip to the north :p

Last edited by Supergurrier; 9th April 2014 at 08:29..
Old 9th April 2014, 08:27   #4
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I think coming from a much lighter car with a lot more power is going to leave you dissapointed.

Have you looked at the supercharger S-Type R? Not a looker, but better £perHP.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 08:42   #5
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Standard the focus st is slower than the mg but at 300bhp it should be a fair bit quicker.
The zt v8 does 0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds and is limited to 155mph. If the limiter is taken off it would do 156mph

The zt is not the fastest thing in the world but has a charm about it.
If i had to go with my head id be looking at a jaguar s type r as it has 400bhp out of the box does 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds and a top speed again limited to 155 mph.

Thr only problem with the s type is its a bit soft on the suspension side of things and is an auto.

If i was going with my heart id be all over the zt v8.

Hope you get what you are looking for sir and please let us know how you get on.
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 08:56   #6
Supergurrier

Focus ST

The original plan was a monaro vxr but they are staying firm at 11k for a one on the spec I want which I can't justify spending this time around

Then I thought maybe a late E39 early E60 525i as a daily hack and a 75ish camaro classic for 8k Euros as a weekend toy but they are LHD and I don't have a garage to dry store one.

Nissan 350z BMW 335i BMW 645ci and B7 Audi S4 were all considered too as alternatives but the ZT V8 just appeals to me.

Power isn't the be all and end all just over two years ago I was driving a 75bhp 1.4 Skoda Octavia :p

Spent over 3k on my ST and I would need to spend near the same again to future proof the power with rs clutch performance driveshaft upgraded shocks and a block mod using shims between the liners in the block.

Just want comfort and that characterful V8 burble. I don't really drive fast and have never had points in 8 years of driving.
Old 9th April 2014, 09:41   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergurrier View Post
That's the one. Is seperate pics up for both now.

2006 one spec looks lower alright with single din stereo etc.

Still looks OK if could be got for 5500 cash and at least its easier to go north for a test drive (never driven one) and maybe if I leave a deposit they might leave the car with me for a day for an extended test drive and I can get my mechanic in galway to get it up on the ramp and give it a good once over. + in the trip back and over any mechanical maladies should become obvious + 1 year warranty on it I think.

Going to the UK for one you are talking almost 1k in expenses between flight/boat back if car checks out and an RAC/AA check (imagine how gutted you would be if car turned out to be a lemon) compared to fuel on a trip to the north :p
I see what you mean. How much is the vrt ?

I will be flat out for next few weeks time wise,plus, I know nothing of the cars themselves or I would offer to have a gander at it.

Have you looked through the twosixty club?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 10:07   #8
Supergurrier

Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I see what you mean. How much is the vrt ?

I will be flat out for next few weeks time wise,plus, I know nothing of the cars themselves or I would offer to have a gander at it.

Have you looked through the twosixty club?
No idea on vrt yet I'm guessing 2-2.5k (such a stupid and unfair tax)

Its based off a made up OMSP so I will have to ring revenue to get an actual figure.

Registered there for the 260 club but awaiting acc activation.

I am a very active poster on the STOC forum and I appreciate the value of real owner feedback as its saved me a good few bomb on my current car.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:04   #9
slickster
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Have you looked at the supercharger S-Type R? Not a looker, but better £perHP.
Agree that these are tremendous value in terms power for the pound when compared to the 260, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie View Post
The zt is not the fastest thing in the world but has a charm about it.
If i had to go with my head id be looking at a jaguar s type r as it has 400bhp out of the box does 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds and a top speed again limited to 155 mph.

Thr only problem with the s type is its a bit soft on the suspension side of things and is an auto.
This is exactly it, the ZT (and R75) V8s have such a charm. My S Type R was quick, but very quiet and refined and the V8 'burble' was minimal, with aural sound mainly being the loud supercharger whine - not to my taste in the end. Though I thought the auto box was actually very good and was easy to drive 'manually' using the stick.

The R75/ZT V8s are definitely special

Previously owned 75/ZTs:
Rover 75 4.6 V8 Conni SE Auto // MG ZT-T 260 4.6 V8 // R75 Conn SE 2.5 V6 Auto Vanden Plas (LWB)
01 '51' Rover 75 2.0 Diesel Conni Auto Tourer // 99 'T' Rover 75 2.5 Conni Auto

slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 19:23   #10
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickster View Post
Agree that these are tremendous value in terms power for the pound when compared to the 260, but...

This is exactly it, the ZT (and R75) V8s have such a charm. My S Type R was quick, but very quiet and refined and the V8 'burble' was minimal, with aural sound mainly being the loud supercharger whine - not to my taste in the end. Though I thought the auto box was actually very good and was easy to drive 'manually' using the stick.

The R75/ZT V8s are definitely special
If you don't like the Supercharger whine you can always get the standard S Type V8 which still puts out 300hp
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote