Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2017, 10:09   #1
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Default Boot leak despite our efforts

Ok so let me thank super chip for sealing my boot vents last night. Great job as usual.
Rear light seals are new so no issues there.
Boot seal is undamaged and in place along with additional sealant to keep the rain out.
Do the rear screens leak?
I'm running out of option but at least the leak is only on the left of the boot as you look at it. Seems to drip from above on to the boot carpet and then collects underneath.
The right is now bone dry and when Chris uncovered the vent last night you could see it was about 2mm shy of its correct position hence why the right was damp.
It's now 50% fixed so would appreciate ideas on the last leak. Might jump in the boot with a torch and ask my wife to shower the car!
Old 12th May 2017, 10:12   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Rear screen clips prone to leaking If you lift the rubber at the bottom, you can see them, or, underneath inside the boot, if you put your hand in the spaces you can feel them
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 10:36   #3
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

The other place is the bolts holding the chrome trim on. The nuts of the bolts are prone, I had two leaking on mine. Best tip I got was take off the nuts, use an old bike tyre innertube and cut pieces big enough to go over the bolt. Put silica seal between rubber and trim, nut on top and more silica on top.

I then used a bit of creeping crack on the rear windscreen where the seal joined at the bottom. Sorted my swimming pool right out. Never leaked again.

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 10:43   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Do the rear screens leak?
For sure they do. I had a persistant wet boot after fitting the so-called MG7 rear lamps. I was convinced it was a gasket problem, so spent time and money on new gaskets, neoprene tape, etc. The boot continued to get wet. To find the source, I stuffed bunched-up newspaper in all the nooks and crannies and found the water was getting in from under the rear screen. A squirt of Captain Tulley's sealer improved things, but the best fix was a smear of silicone sealant under the inner lower edge of the rubber surround. I know the water actually gets in through the trim clips, but removing the trim to fix the seals is frought with problems (from what I've read). The external sealant has done the trick. If the leaky clips don't get the water around they won't let any into the boot. Works for me anyway.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote