Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th January 2007, 15:35   #1
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Default Electrical gremlins

Noticed a few things that don't work on the new toy, mainly horn, electric mirrors, lighter socket. I've checked all the fuses, and only one I found blown was number 9 in the under bonnet fusebox which blows as soon as AC is switched to LOW, its fine on any other setting so I guess it's feed to the compressor as I've not heard that click in at all.

The mirror switch lights up the red LEDs to show which side mirror it'll adjust, but there's no life in either mirror.

Not had a great deal of time to play today bar checking fuses, so any ideas?
mach1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 16:12   #2
Simon
Banned

-

If the AC fuse is blowing everytime you switch the AC on then there a couple of things to try...

Have a look at this thread here re:AC http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=100

Check these out then report back here...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 18:08   #3
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Food for thought, however, main concern is the horn, MOT man won't impressed with it much in its current state
Old 14th January 2007, 18:31   #4
Simon
Banned

-

True, horn is quote a usefull addition...

You say your keen on DIY repairs etc so I guess this bit should be a no-brainer but have you used a multimeter to check the wires to the horn. Getting at it requires bumper-off time so you might want to consider getting the uprated horn and fitting that in lieu of the OEM one rather than taking bumper off then finding a faulty horn then having to take bumper off at a later date when you've bought a new horn...

Have you done all the usual plenumn checks and drainage hole unblocking?
Old 14th January 2007, 18:36   #5
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

I'll have a day on it probably next weekend now, didn't have a great deal of time today as had other things to do, but didn't know if they were reasonably common faults or not
Old 14th January 2007, 18:47   #6
Simon
Banned

-

AC problem is possibly the biggest to diagnose due to the complexity of it all it may be as simple as a dodgy wire/connection or (as you suggest) one of the components failing. Normally AC problems stem from coolant issues (in particular, the lack of coolant or an air lock in the system) Rarely though should this cause a fuse to pop. Often AC problems show up as lack of heat/cool air from the vents. The cooling system problems can stem from fan motor/control box failure or the cooling system not being filled properly (vacuum refill essential in most cases)

Mirror problem could be the switch itself. Take the switch console out and give everything a good clean up. The microswitches are susceptable (sp?) to dirt so they may just need a bit of TLC.

Lighter socket again could be wiring/connection has come adrift. I presume the fuse box under the glovebox is all fine and dandy?

Must admit I've not heard of these problems occuring before. Has this car been unused for a while? If so, it could just be lack-of-use has created a few issues.

I think I've added even more questions than I have answered them! I'd personally start with a good overhaul and then see what needs fixing after that! :lol:

Hope this helps!
Old 14th January 2007, 19:25   #7
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Well it's been sat since Christmas when the clutch packed up on the previous owner. Had a bizarre thing happen on the way home though, speedo stuck at 9 err 70 after coming off the bypass, gentle tapping didn't unstick it either, and I also noticed the display for trip computer wouldn't work either. Switching off at a comfort stop needle dropped straight back to zero. All was fine, until we pulled out speedo died at 10mph, sat there for a while, again no trip computer, then all of a sudden speedo came back up and its been fine since!

Oh and in reply to ECU and drain holes, yes they're all clear and fine, it had a brand new ECU mid 05 after it decided it couldn't swim
Old 14th January 2007, 20:11   #8
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1rob View Post
Well it's been sat since Christmas when the clutch packed up on the previous owner. Had a bizarre thing happen on the way home though, speedo stuck at 9 err 70 after coming off the bypass, gentle tapping didn't unstick it either, and I also noticed the display for trip computer wouldn't work either. Switching off at a comfort stop needle dropped straight back to zero. All was fine, until we pulled out speedo died at 10mph, sat there for a while, again no trip computer, then all of a sudden speedo came back up and its been fine since!

Oh and in reply to ECU and drain holes, yes they're all clear and fine, it had a brand new ECU mid 05 after it decided it couldn't swim
Speedo issues could be to do with ABS offside front wheel sensor where I think speedo gets its info. Wire to sensor fallimg out of its clip and rubbing against something (forget what - sorry) and wearing or water ingress inside the cable on earlier cars.

Check also wiring loom at offside front as I think I have read that it can rub against crossmenber wearing the insulation and cause all sorts of electrical problems. Might have some bearing on horn not working as well as air con.

HTH
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 20:49   #9
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Thanks for that I'll have a nose while it's up in air having clutch sorted