Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2013, 21:24   #1
Dannie

MGZT

Smile Engine warning light on steady amber

Hi everyone,
I need help! I acquired a 2003 registered MGZT, it's a beautiful car but the problem is that the engine warning amber light on the dashboard is on steady and it says check the engine anytime I start the car.
I took the car to a general garage and they attempted to run diagnostics on it but gave up after a while saying that the Engine control Unit was faulty and was preventing them from accessing any faults the car may have.
I live in Nottingham and will appreciate any advice or affordable help to get the car in normal working order.
Kind regards
Dannie
Dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 21:31   #2
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

could be worth checking the plenum chambers for water (it is under a panel near the wipers) have a look in the how to section. Often can be full of leaves which can flood the ECU.

I am sure someone close to you in the club could recommend a local T4 person (the rover diagnostic things) this will show up the fault codes?
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 23:47   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie View Post
Hi everyone,
I need help! I acquired a 2003 registered MGZT, it's a beautiful car but the problem is that the engine warning amber light on the dashboard is on steady and it says check the engine anytime I start the car.
I took the car to a general garage and they attempted to run diagnostics on it but gave up after a while saying that the Engine control Unit was faulty and was preventing them from accessing any faults the car may have.
I live in Nottingham and will appreciate any advice or affordable help to get the car in normal working order.
Kind regards
Dannie
If your car is a turbo, I would hazard a guess at an old version of engine tune, for anything else, or indeed including ECM replacement a visit to someone with T4, probably in your case Big Russ.
If you're ecm is indeed faulty (which I seriously doubt) I have both NNN000500 turbo , and NNN100110 NASP
HTH
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 23:57   #4
happyal
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer 2.0cdt wedgewood blue

before spending any money..do the battery disconnect trick..disconnect for about half hour youll see loads posts on here and a lot of the time this clears any minor glitches..also as previous poster sais check plenum....ps make sure you have radio code before disconneect battery...
happyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 09:44   #5
Dannie

MGZT

Default Tried the suggestions

Thanks everyone for their input unfortunately, the plenum chamber is clean, took of the battery too but the engine amber light is still on.
I may have to invite someone who can diagnose the fault.
Dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 20:04   #6
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie View Post
Thanks everyone for their input unfortunately, the plenum chamber is clean, took of the battery too but the engine amber light is still on.
I may have to invite someone who can diagnose the fault.
hopefully a local T4 person can get in touch; could be a simple sensor

in reality not flooding the ECU is actually good news!!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote