Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2024, 10:25   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default How to replace a wheel

I freely acknowledge this will probably be the silliest post on the entire Forum, but it has taken me 70 years to find the best way to replace a wheel, so have a read, have a scoff if you will - yes I know you will - but hey give it a try.

No doubt all of you have equipped yourself with a screw in peg (arrow B) which does help, but you still have to juggle with lining up the bolt hole with the end of the peg, which when you're as ancient as me nursing a tender back doesn't get any easier.

So my cunning plan is to insert a forefinger - others should be available (arrow A) - so when you lift the wheel you can feel when you're lined up with the end of the peg, so slide in. And breathe out. (Now you can have a laugh).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel replacement.jpg (109.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 27th May 2024, 10:48   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

So what do you say when having used your finger to line up with the hole but then drop the wheel because it is so heavy, but still with your finger engaged?

Naughty word of choice?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 10:53   #3
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I still don’t have an alignment peg.

Must add it to the list.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 10:54   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

A word of caution Dave, please do not poke a finger, or any other body part, into a wheel. I'd rather not go into exactly why, just don't. A suitable wooden dowel will serve as a much better and safer 'tool' than a pinky.
Old 27th May 2024, 12:05   #5
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
A word of caution Dave, please do not poke a finger, or any other body part, into a wheel. I'd rather not go into exactly why, just don't. A suitable wooden dowel will serve as a much better and safer 'tool' than a pinky.

What body part did you have in mind, specifically?
Old 27th May 2024, 12:38   #6
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I'd rather not go into, er, intimate, details. Suffice it to say such a catastrophe is, at best, unsightly.
Old 27th May 2024, 15:43   #7
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I freely acknowledge this will probably be the silliest post on the entire Forum, but it has taken me 70 years to find the best way to replace a wheel, so have a read, have a scoff if you will - yes I know you will - but hey give it a try.

No doubt all of you have equipped yourself with a screw in peg (arrow B) which does help, but you still have to juggle with lining up the bolt hole with the end of the peg, which when you're as ancient as me nursing a tender back doesn't get any easier.

So my cunning plan is to insert a forefinger - others should be available (arrow A) - so when you lift the wheel you can feel when you're lined up with the end of the peg, so slide in. And breathe out. (Now you can have a laugh).

Absolutely not, fingers are precious sensitive and rather essential part of the human anatomy, so please don't insert them in places likely to cause shall we say 'problems' and pain, simply orient the wheel in the approximate position of the studs and taking your time offer it up, if it doesn't work the first time take a rest for a few moments and try again, this way fingers remain where they are ment to be. At the risk of sounding rude, I am only thinking of your health and well being.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2024, 08:46   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

About fifty years ago, I had an Austin Mini Cooper with a wood rimmed steering wheel I'd bought through Exchange & Mart.. That wheel, coincidentally, put me into Bow Street Magistrate's Court as a prosecution witness in a large burglary case - - but I digress. I was driving the Cooper home from work with my mate in the passenger seat . On the way, I stopped at a shop for something and when I returned to the car, my mate had his middle finger stuck through one of the holes in the steering wheel spoke! Try as he might, it was stuck fast. Luckily, I always carried a tool box in the boot, so half an hour later, we'd managed to get the wheel off the splines so he could get out of the car, steering wheel still firmly attached to him. Luckily, hed could hold the wheel as if he was carrying it, so he didn't look as stupid as he felt as we walked into a nearby garage. Using hot and cold water and lots of Swarfega, the finger was finally free. As they say, it could have been worse!

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2024, 08:59   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post

Dave please don't use your finger has suggested a piece of wooden dowel is better, another tip is pop out the centre cap before fitting the wheel, this will help you line up to the pin on the hub

Another couple of ideas for you, maybe a plant pot caddy which the wheel will sit in so you can move it about for alignment and height.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145670409169

Or there is this set which could help.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404276783991

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 28th May 2024 at 09:19.. Reason: Data
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2024, 09:46   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Sealey AK7500. Best thing that I have bought in years. Brake on, in gear or have someone hold the brake to stop the hub spinning for best results but I have managed with device at the top and a careful slide. Video on YouTube if you search for AK 7500
https://youtu.be/TnA4JeW4Ges?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Last edited by roverbarmy; 28th May 2024 at 09:50..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote