Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2015, 04:39   #1
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Default ANGLE OF AUX BELT TENSIONER 24mm NUT

Hi All,

Not thinking to measure when I was off , if you look directly towards the ancillary pulleys on the diesel engine from the wing what angles are the faces of the 24mm nut on the tensioner? Or is the nut rotation placement different on each engine?

As I am now at work I am going to fabricate an open ended 24mm spanner from 5mm flat bar to ensure it is narrow enough to pass between the gap.

The reason I ask for the angle of the faces is so that I can fabricate the spanner head at an offset if necessary so that I can get more leverage from above when turning the spanner towards the aft of my car to release the tension (i.e spanner almost horizontal at the slam panel rising to vertical when turning towards the bulkhead).

P.S I`m working nightshift 6pm-6am so if I am late with a reply or thanks please accept my apologies.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 07:04   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Don't know if my GhettoTech version helps.

The nut doesn't protrude that much, so might be better to either cut down a socket or ring spanner as opposed to open ended.

[IMG][/IMG]
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 07:11   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
Hi All,

Not thinking to measure when I was off , if you look directly towards the ancillary pulleys on the diesel engine from the wing what angles are the faces of the 24mm nut on the tensioner? Or is the nut rotation placement different on each engine?.
I agree with above, it will vary from pulley to pulley. A ring spanner or socket cut down is what is needed.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 19:53   #4
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

The nut doesn't protrude that much, so might be better to either cut down a socket or ring spanner as opposed to open ended.

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I agree with above, it will vary from pulley to pulley. A ring spanner or socket cut down is what is needed.
Cheers lads,

A ring spanner version will be easy enough to make up instead of open ended. What is more important to me is the width of the tool really so a length of 5mm flat bar with a 24mm ring key cut into it so the whole tool is 5mm wide and will fit into my gap. I will make a couple up with the rings offset to one another just incase one gives more leverage angle then the other when fitted onto the tensioner pulley nut.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 16th August 2015, 16:55   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Mike,

I am preparing to do the belts on my 2001 190k mile cdt. The main belt looks fine but the AC belt looks in bad shape, with a lot if cracks in it.

I purchased a standard 24mm ring spanner which I intend to modify like your picture. was your spanner flat to start with? i mean was the ring in line with the shaft, cant quite tell what the angles are from the photo.

This one i have here has about a 15 degree angle to the ring.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 17:31   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes David it was a standard 24mm combination spanner bought on the bay similar to these with a slight angle on the ring end:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline...item19e95cee5c

I cut the open end off with an angle grinder, ground the ring edge facing the tensioner flat and ground into the bar next to the ring so it would locate better on the nut.

The other welds on the spanner were ground almost through, bent to suit and then welded up, and an end extension welded on.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 16th August 2015 at 17:34..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 18:16   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Mike,

I am preparing to do the belts on my 2001 190k mile cdt. The main belt looks fine but the AC belt looks in bad shape, with a lot if cracks in it.

I purchased a standard 24mm ring spanner which I intend to modify like your picture. was your spanner flat to start with? i mean was the ring in line with the shaft, cant quite tell what the angles are from the photo.

This one i have here has about a 15 degree angle to the ring.
I did my belts yesterday with a standard ring spanner which has a slight angle to the ring end. No trouble at all and the slight angle made it easy to fit on the nut.

The ring end is 13 mm thick and the angle about 10 degrees. The overall length of the spanner being 310 mm.

I used one of those straps with a ratchet around the chassis to the right of the spanner to pull and hold the tensioner while I moved the belt about.

Much easier to ratchet the spanner than to move it by hand. Safer too.

PS. Working under the wing.-- ( I did the alternator pulley last.)

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th August 2015 at 20:23..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015, 19:49   #8
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Hi All,

Not updated for a while..

Had to do my aux belt twice in the end due to the gasket splitting when I fitted my new water pump which gave me a bit of a leak so it all had to be stripped down again...

The 2nd time around I found it much easier to put the belt around the crank pulley last whilst my brother in law had an open ended spanner on the tensioner going through the headlight space (light removed obviously lol)

Lee.