Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th October 2012, 21:49   #1
Anthony.baker

MG ZT

Default Gearbox won't budge

HelloFor that past couple of days our MG ZT has been struggling to get into 1st gear. Today, my partner parked up for work. Went back to the car on his break and he cannot get it into gear at all when the engines running. I've been reading through other posts but I'm afraid being female, don't understand it at all. I've got my partner to try gears when engine is off after reading things on here and he can put it into gear when it's off and it stays in gear when turning engine on and starts to move just cannot change it. Neither of us have a clue about cars and definitely cannot afford the prices stating on here of how much it could be. Any idea's what it sounds like?
Anthony.baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 21:56   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 22:24   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.baker View Post
HelloFor that past couple of days our MG ZT has been struggling to get into 1st gear. Today, my partner parked up for work. Went back to the car on his break and he cannot get it into gear at all when the engines running. I've been reading through other posts but I'm afraid being female, don't understand it at all. I've got my partner to try gears when engine is off after reading things on here and he can put it into gear when it's off and it stays in gear when turning engine on and starts to move just cannot change it. Neither of us have a clue about cars and definitely cannot afford the prices stating on here of how much it could be. Any idea's what it sounds like?
Unfortunately it sounds like clutch hydraulic failure, a far too common problem on the 75/ZT. Either the master cylinder, which is operated by the pedal, or the slave cylinder which is at the other end of the hydraulic pipe and disengages the clutch pressure plate.

First thing to check is the level of fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, and if it is low then check for leaks. Topping it up and bleeding the system sometimes gets you going again and can buy you some time.

Changing the master cylinder is easier than changing the slave as the gearbox has to be removed to get to it, and the slave is the more likely of the two to fail.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 15th October 2012 at 22:26..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 04:05   #4
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Clutch hydraulics

As Mike says, first check master cylinder has fluid.
Bit fiddly as it is above clutch pedal, under the dash. Usually need a syringe with tube to put it in. Probably 1 hour to fill and bleed.
It should not be expensive for a garage to do this. Ask them if they are familiar with doing this. If not they will be faffing around working it out !
Ask at the same time for them just to have a look at the bell housing and tell you if there is any sign of clutch fluid dripping. If there is, then as Mike says, it is a slave cylinder problem and to do this is gearbox out. At the same time it is wise to renew the 2 part clutch as it's about a 5 hour job for slave and clutch and you don't want to have to do the job again later.
Just had a look and see you are in Coventry. You are lucky. Best guy in the business is Lates & is a club member. email:- [email protected] Tel:- 07958 or 07953 342167. You can phone him up to 9pm. You won't find more reliable, honest or cheaper, knows our cars backwards.

Last edited by crofts; 16th October 2012 at 04:18.. Reason: Added Lates info
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 06:47   #5
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

hi i will be in coventry on sunday replacing a clutch if you want i can call in and have a look for you

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 07:28   #6
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
hi i will be in coventry on sunday replacing a clutch if you want i can call in and have a look for you

andy
I was going to post to PM Andy Willi, as he is the clutch God, but he's done it already!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:42   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post

andy
If you can wait until Sunday , this is an offer you shouldn't refuse !!!
So many garages will mess you about on this one
Old 16th October 2012, 14:56   #8
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Surely if its clutch hydraulic failure the pedal would be on the floor?
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 15:00   #9
kfieldin
Banned

When mine went to the floor it was the slave cylinder - I replaced that and the clutch as I had the gearbox out. I didn't do the master and a couple hundred miles later - difficulty finding gears... Master had gone... Kept topping up until I had the pennies and time
kfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 17:41   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
Surely if its clutch hydraulic failure the pedal would be on the floor?
Often but not always. With a certain amount of air in the system all you do is compress it as the pedal goes down, and then it springs back up again.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote