Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd October 2017, 14:45   #1
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Default What to replace - belts etc

Hi,

So I collected my new ZTT, 2004 CDTi, last week from a fellow enthusiast. Really pleased, very well maintained and it has all the toys :-). 150k miles.

There was some vibration at idle through the steering wheel so I replaced all three engine mounts at the weekend and that solved the vibration, the lower mount was actually stamped M which is the petrol mount so that was probably it, the other two mounts might not have needed doing but I had the bits already so went for it.

Thanks to Mat at DMGRS for a very swift turn around and next day delivery.

Air con needs looking at as not that cold but that can wait in the current spell, I’m hoping just a recharge.

There is a little bit of belt whine or something isn’t quite as quiet as my old ZT saloon, garage had a look and said something about the belts. I am thinking of replacing the aux and the ac belts and wondered what else was worth doing while I’m in there on a higher mileage engine?

Water pump?
Aux tensioner?
AC tensioner?
Pulleys?

Any advice from the more knowledgeable would be appreciated. I’m planning on a T4 session to check injectors.

Many thanks

Currently driving MG ZT-T CDTi Mk 2 2004 in Lagoon and Rover 75 2003.
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:58   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Try turning the a/c to ECON. I have a whine that's the a/c compressor. Pressing the ECON button disengages it and the whine goes away. Only a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:29   #3
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
Try turning the a/c to ECON. I have a whine that's the a/c compressor. Pressing the ECON button disengages it and the whine goes away. Only a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, whine is with the Climate control off completely so can’t be that.

Old 2nd October 2017, 17:26   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
Hi,

There is a little bit of belt whine or something isn’t quite as quiet as my old ZT saloon, garage had a look and said something about the belts. I am thinking of replacing the aux and the ac belts and wondered what else was worth doing while I’m in there on a higher mileage engine?

Water pump?
Aux tensioner?
AC tensioner?
Pulleys?
My original water pump failed at just shy of 300k miles, and the replacement only lasted 60k, so replacing early may be false economy.

The AC tensioner and all the pulleys bar one are original at just over 393k miles -one idler felt a bit rough so I replaced it when changing the serpentine belt.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:34   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The whine is a well known phenomenon of later cars fitted with a different HP pump regulator, and is caused by harmonic resonance in the fuel return rail.

You either learn to tune it out, or fit an earlier model CP1 HP pump regulator

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:17   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The whine is a well known phenomenon of later cars fitted with a different HP pump regulator, and is caused by harmonic resonance in the fuel return rail.

Brian
Or turn up the wireless
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:45   #7
JMW
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTi MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
That is something I didn’t know so thank you for the information. I will inspect the belts and see what’s what but I don’t fancy replacing the HP pump regulator might just turn up the radio a bit!

If there is plenty of life left in the water pump then I’ll wait until it lets me know it wants doing.

On a side note I did have trouble getting the top engine mount out and ended up using two m12 nuts as per the pic to get it out in case anyone else has trouble. Would have been good to weld the nut to the mount but we managed by tightening them together.

Thanks

Last edited by JMW; 12th July 2019 at 22:30..