Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st October 2012, 11:06   #1
cmdrew
Regular poster

None of my own but now looking after 2

Default More Fan questions

Now I know this question has been asked many times before but I just want to try and get a definitive answer.

My father has an Rover 75 02 1.8T which he absolutely loves - however the fan does seem noisy so he tends to leave the climate on Econ mode so that the air conditioning doesn't switch on.

Having checked, there is no resister so I assume he has the 2 speed, 3 wire type fan. If you pull at the fan, front to back you can feel play in it and also with the air-con on I would say that the fan is constantly running at its high speed - never switches off or runs at slow speed.

My question therefore is

1> I assume that the fan should run at its slow speed and only occasionally switch to high speed so is this a problem?

2> Can the fan be replaced (easily) and if so what is the best replacement?

3> Is the job easy enough to do or rather fiddly?

Thanks for any advice.
cmdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 12:19   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrew View Post
Having checked, there is no resister so I assume he has the 2 speed, 3 wire type fan.
That will be correct for an original 02 reg fan.

Quote:
If you pull at the fan, front to back you can feel play in it
I wouldn't worry about that. They require come axial clearance. As long as there's no radial slop it's normal.

Quote:
with the air-con on I would say that the fan is constantly running at its high speed - never switches off or runs at slow speed.
Assuming the aircon is operating as it should, I'd say what you hear is the lower speed. If you're sure it's the high speed, then the aircon system has some issues. A disintegrated condenser would probably be one.

Quote:
My question therefore is

1> I assume that the fan should run at its slow speed and only occasionally switch to high speed so is this a problem?
High speed operation with a fully functional aircon system is rare. It's normally only tripped after the hot engine is shut down (heat soak event).

Quote:
2> Can the fan be replaced (easily) and if so what is the best replacement?
Replacing fans is covered in detail around the forum. There are How Tos on most aspects of fan servicing. The standard replacements these days are the later resistor type 2-speed or the Kenlowe alternative.

Quote:
3> Is the job easy enough to do or rather fiddly?
See above. Some people find easy jobs difficult, so it all depends on your experience.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st October 2012 at 12:24..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:42   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrew View Post
... he tends to leave the climate on Econ mode so that the air conditioning doesn't switch on.
Just a note of warning. Your father should run the air conditioning once a month, all year round. If he doesn't, the seals will harden and the refrigerant gas will escape. Then, next summer when he does want cooling, he'll have the expense of having it evacuated and recharged.

As T-Cut says, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your fan if it runs in 'auto' and stops in 'econ'.

Simon.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:38   #4
guinness
Avid contributor

mg zt 2.5 v6

hi just changed my fan this week end for the kenlow conversion.
not to bad a job to do drop the front bumper then the slam panel.
ensure that you get the wiring correct from the info provided.
the kit from jules at jma cars was excellent and was fitted with in an hour ,takes longer putting the car back together .

many thanks
guinness is offline   Reply With Quote