Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th November 2017, 02:47   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default Kv6 can cover breather

Ok learned ones !!
As mentioned had an issue with the 12mm breather pipe plug breaking on the rear left side of the rear cam cover.
Can’t get a replacement 12mm plug as they only make the 9 mm fitting which is on the right side end of the cam cover.
Took the cam cover off, cleaned all the crud out but found a bit of a puzzle.
The smaller 9mm plug which has a one way valve inline in the piping appears to have no breather hole in the fitting or in the cam housing unlike the larger 12mm one at the other end which has a large hole in the housing.
My question is, can anyone tell me if the smaller pipe is actually drawing anything from the rear cam cover ? and if not why does it have a pipe connected.
Secondly ,as the internals on the larger 12mm fitting have disintergrated ,is supposed to be any sort of restriction (small hole) that’s supposed to be in the fitting or is it just a straight through hole into the cam cover ?
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 08:12   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Didn't think my cam cover had the smaller breather either until some TIG wire (1.2mm) persuaded the hole to reveal itself

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:40   #3
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Your right, finally found the tiny hole on the 9mm fitting all blocked up with rock hard crud.Cleaned it all out.
Ive re assembled the cam cover assuming the 12mm hole fitting is just straight through into the cam cover with no restriction.
I’m wondering if it is supposed to be the same as the same size fitting on the front cam cover which has a small hole inside the fitting.?
Tried looking into the fitting on one of my other kv6 cars and they seems straight through.
Worst comes to worst I can put some sort of restriction inline in the pipe if needed .
Old 30th November 2017, 12:49   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Going on memory which isn’t the best but also believe it’s a straight through hole with no restrictions. If wrong I guess someone will be along sharpish to tell us otherwise.

Regards
Old 30th November 2017, 16:51   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It’s like that on all of them! I thought it was strange too
Old 30th November 2017, 18:06   #6
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

As you've found, it should have a small diameter breather hole which is often blocked, causing condensation to build quickly on short runs, and make it look like HGF.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 22:10   #7
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I assumed as the front 12mm fitting had a small hole in it the rear bank would be the same.
Next question, as I now have removed the small hole restrictor inside the fitting and now have it running straight through with a larger hole, will that affect the running of the motor?
I’m assuming the small hole was there to restrict some of the oil going into the pipe.?
Old 1st December 2017, 08:28   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

The most comprehensive description of the breather system I’ve seen is the Haynes one, where under conditions of idle the gases are sucked out of the crankcase by the smaller pipe and fresh air introduced via the larger into the crankcase. But when accelerating or full throttle both pipes are used to exhaust the gases.

If you haven’t got a copy I could PM it to you.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:06   #9
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Ive got a Haynes manual but thanks for the offer.
If anyone has a spare rear cam cover they may
lbe able to see if the larger hole fitting has any sort of restriction in it or is it just a straight through into the cam cover.
Old 1st December 2017, 13:04   #10
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

I don't want to sound a bit dim, but can anyone write a description of what's involved in taking the cam covers off to clean the breather holes, is it just a case of undoing the bolts that go round and taking out the spark plugs? Do the gaskets need replacing? I really think I need to do this on my 190, I get a lot of condensation coming from the breather pipe going into the front of the throttle body when idling. I've changed the oil, and also changed the inlet manifold gaskets, and I'm not losing coolant, so I don't think it's anything more than condensation in the engine.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote