Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2024, 17:15   #1
Glen B
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club, 2005 Rover 45, 2000 Rover 25, 1963 Rover 110

Default Underbonnet fuel pump ( diesel)noisy. Just started today

Went out to my 2003 cdt earlier today and when I turned ignition on I could hear underbonnet fuel pump buzzing like it had no fuel on inlet side. Took a while for engine to start but ran ok on 18 mile return journey ( to Formula 1 for regas and back). After regas the mechanic got in and it started immediately and started immediately again after I got in to drive home. Had to go out again in car shortly after arriving home and took a while to start again. Starter working normally and wondering if Ive got fuel pump problem. Any ideas? Fitted new condenser for aircon yesterday ready for journey of 150 miles to South Shields next Friday as well as going to work and back this week.Worried if I'll have problems now. Engine pulls fine once started.
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2024, 21:17   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

How much fuel do you have in the tank? Less than a quarter and it sounds like your in tank fuel pump has failed.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 06:37   #3
Glen B
Avid contributor

The tank is nearly half full. I don't let it go below qusrter of a tank.tr
Old 17th June 2024, 07:05   #4
Glen B
Avid contributor

Just found an old thread on google where someone mentions it might be Pierburg valve between UBP and filter that may cause issue of taking longer for engine to start. I fitted new hoses between the 2 items a few weeks ago as one had started leaking so I changed them all. I replaced the original Pierburg valve and had no problems until yesterday. Someone on that old thread said to try a Land Rover dealer for a new one but when I google the part it only comes up with Pierburg pumps, egr valve and other stuff that doesn't look like my Pierburg valve.
Old 17th June 2024, 08:13   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
Just found an old thread on google where someone mentions it might be Pierburg valve between UBP and filter that may cause issue of taking longer for engine to start. I fitted new hoses between the 2 items a few weeks ago as one had started leaking so I changed them all. I replaced the original Pierburg valve and had no problems until yesterday. Someone on that old thread said to try a Land Rover dealer for a new one but when I google the part it only comes up with Pierburg pumps, egr valve and other stuff that doesn't look like my Pierburg valve.[/QUOTE
]

Hi Glen.
Are you referring to this valve below.

I have one left i think, if so PM me

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 09:15   #6
Glen B
Avid contributor

Morning! I can't see any pictures with the numbers but its the one between the pump and the fuel rail. Its white plastic and its round. It has the word Pierburg on it. Not quite sure what to do next. I'm going outside soon to see what happens when I turn ignition on again and listen to see if ITP hums as well.I'm trying to rule stuff out. If I change the UBP then I might as well swap the valve whule its exposed.