Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th May 2024, 20:16   #11
David Edmonds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon, Rover 75 2.0 Litre Petrol Saloon

Default Can we all afford to give away 50 quid for nothing?

Can I point out that the £50 penalty these people tried to impose was because I did not wish to renew my policy for the next 12 months. I was not cancelling any existing agreement, and so I think the word 'steal' is entirely appropriate.
David Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 21:07   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Flippin Eck, I agree with that!

I hope you had a glass of something stiff after that. I certainly need one - perhaps even a bottle!
Old 25th May 2024, 21:23   #13
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

People just need to learn to stay on top of their affairs and not look to blame others at every opportunity.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
In my experience it has never been turned on without some sort of interaction or notification.
Not in my experience. I’ve had a number of policies that have been automatically set to auto-renew. I’ve got into the habit of opting out of auto-renewal immediately after taking out a policy, and then taking a screenshot of the confirmation.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2024, 09:33   #14
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Auto renewal is, or was, a valid and useful facility for maintaining cover for risks that might be beyond permanent and/or periodic attention. It was a useful tool to ensure continued cover in the event of unintended lapse. Originally applied to purely legal contracts where permanent cover was essential.

Then the insurance/banking/finance industry came of age and recognised a huge case of wilful negligence among the public. It opened up a source of new business to legally plunder. All in our best interests, of course.

In many cases a valuable asset that allows for, whatever. Let each to their choices, I wouldn’t be without it. But I do wonder how much of my renewal premium is a cost element for an assumed lack of oversight.

Last edited by wraymond; 26th May 2024 at 09:36..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 15:29   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have never ‘auto renewed’ my car insurance policy. Why would you? For instance, if you paid last year £300.00, why would you allow it to happen when we all know that in most cases the ‘renewal’ will be some extravagant amount, much more than last year very often. People moan and groan about the cost of living, but neglect to address their own cost’s that can in some circumstances, bring down those costs. It’s a bit like paying by credit card, or cash. With cash you know what you have spent by looking in your wallet. Pay by card and how many people know exactly what they have spent?.
Old 27th May 2024, 15:48   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
.......Pay by card and how many people know exactly what they have spent?.

I do - down to the last penny every month. As do our two youngsters. It's all about being discipllined in tracking family spending.

This is despite paying for everything with a credit car. The last time I used cash was in a parking machine about a year ago.
Old 30th May 2024, 16:30   #17
matoakwell
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edmonds View Post
Can I point out that the £50 penalty these people tried to impose was because I did not wish to renew my policy for the next 12 months. I was not cancelling any existing agreement, and so I think the word 'steal' is entirely appropriate.
Muppet!

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
matoakwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2024, 18:13   #18
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The 'features and benefits' of auto-renewal are well established. For the benefit of the mildly forgetful to the irresponsible and everything in between, it's a well established practice.

I would have thought the considerable premiums nowadays loom large enough for most of us. But then I sold and serviced that market along with most other classes of insurance for 25 years so it’s easy for me to see both sides.

Apart from anything else, it’s my responsibility to ensure I am ‘covered’ and legal. It helps to think of the cover as being only for 11 months!