Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th June 2024, 05:16   #11
Nightfire
Avid contributor

Rover 45

Thanks for the replies. The particular car I have found is as pre project drive 45 1.8 saloon. 39,000 miles and garaged all it's life. My concern is that it's only covered around 600 miles in the last 5 years. 400 in the last 6 months. It's pricey mind at just under £2500 but body is very good.
Nightfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2024, 05:34   #12
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

My '02 75 1.8 is daily & lives in the street. Bought at 97,000 miles we are now on 197,000 miles. No problem with spares mechanically speaking, l've had no need for body panels, touch wood & she still scrubs up very well despite a few battle scars. Recent maintenance has included a suspension rebuild & new exhaust, both carried out for a fraction of the cost of more 'popular' cars.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2024, 10:14   #13
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire View Post
Thanks for the replies. The particular car I have found is as pre project drive 45 1.8 saloon. 39,000 miles and garaged all it's life. My concern is that it's only covered around 600 miles in the last 5 years. 400 in the last 6 months. It's pricey mind at just under £2500 but body is very good.
My guess would be that putting it back into daily service will quite quickly cause a few things to let go, but fix them and you'll have a perfectly usable daily car for years to come.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2024, 16:11   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

We've got two and both are daily drivers - 42k miles on Mrs Noc's car and 443k miles on mine.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2024, 16:48   #15
Nightfire
Avid contributor

Rover 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBennet View Post
My guess would be that putting it back into daily service will quite quickly cause a few things to let go, but fix them and you'll have a perfectly usable daily car for years to come.

Thanks for the reply. What sort of things should I look out for in terms of letting go ?

Last edited by Nightfire; 26th June 2024 at 04:54..
Old 26th June 2024, 09:04   #16
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire View Post
Thanks for the reply. What sort of things should I look out for in terms of letting go ?
I'm not wise enough to give you a list of specifics, but it's my experience that putting an older car that's been stood around back into regular use will almost always result in there being a few things to fix early on - either because they suffered from lack of use and quickly break, or were already broken and you just don't notice immediately.

Stuff like sticking brakes, perished hoses, holes appearing in the exhaust - whatever really. Battery may well give up suddenly and it won't start one morning. General maintenance issues - things which would have already gone wrong and been fixed if the car was in use, but sort of stack up waiting to break when it isn't. Nothing to be especially worried about IMO, and part of the adventure of getting an old car working again.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2024, 10:42   #17
Archie75

Rover 75 saloon

I've used both a 45 and a 75 (and a 400) as a daily driver. Nothing to worry about just keep them washed and on top of services.
Archie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2024, 11:18   #18
Nightfire
Avid contributor

Rover 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie75 View Post
I've used both a 45 and a 75 (and a 400) as a daily driver. Nothing to worry about just keep them washed and on top of services.
Thanks for the replies. Because it's been garaged I'm hoping it very little corrosion.
Old 26th June 2024, 11:43   #19
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Running older cars

All our family cars are well over 20 years old. Wash/wax them properly every week and keep up the regular maintenance/servicing and all the to do jobs.
The parts that are more difficult to obtain, like the inlet manifold for a KV6 I keep in my garage along with a lot of other spares I know I will need in the not to distant future. All our cars are kept outside and if you rust proof them and keep touching them up when they get stone chipped they should look fine. My wife's TF looks new. My son's ZR which was my daily commute, has had its sill and arches replaced and is still going strong as his daily commute. He didn't like it at first as it was 'old' but the amount of comments such as 'nice car mate' has made him change his mind. With five old cars in the family it keeps me busy but I enjoy the challenge of keeping them on the road and looking good.
I have a major blitz on all the cars when the warmer weather comes which coincides with MOTs and this keeps them going throughout the year.
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote