Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2024, 09:49   #21
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

If someone near you has an EWS editor for the E46 era of BMW they can take a dump of the black chip and compare the key rolling codes. It could be these have fallen out of sync, these can be synchronized using the EWS editor to save using new chips.

You can check with live data on the EMS2000 if the ECU is mobilised or not, that may help in finding if things are talking. The EWS will also have live data that will tell you if the key matches.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 12:53   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
You can check with live data on the EMS2000 if the ECU is mobilised or not, that may help in finding if things are talking. The EWS will also have live data that will tell you if the key matches.
Can the above be done with T4 Jamie?

Simon
Old 15th June 2024, 15:36   #23
Dickyod69

Rover 75 saloon

Quick update starter solonoid spade connector is solid and car cranks if I supply a 12v feed directly .
Dickyod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2024, 16:14   #24
SD1too

And does the engine fire and run?

Simon
Old 15th June 2024, 19:32   #25
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

OK let's go back a step - you found one of the EWS pins had detached. What what the state of the corresponding connector, is the missing pin in that connector, any green oxide ?

Good hunting
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 07:01   #26
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyod69 View Post
Quick update starter solonoid spade connector is solid and car cranks if I supply a 12v feed directly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
And does the engine fire and run?
Hello Rich,

I see that you logged-on yesterday and I was expecting and hoping for your answer to my question but I was to be disappointed. Perhaps I should explain how relevant it is to your problem.

The immobiliser prevents the engine from running by disabling the fuelling provided by the ECM. It can also cut the electrical supply to the starter solenoid if:
  • The key transponder signal is not satisfactory
  • There's a fault with the automatic gearbox inhibitor switch.
  • The engine is already considered to be running.

Your test helpfully proved that the starter motor is working normally, thank you for that. Next we need to find out whether the engine is immobilised even though there is no indication of this in your Message Centre (which RAVE says is possible), hence my question. If the engine isn't immobilised so that the fuelling is working normally, I would expect your engine to have run when you supplied the starter motor manually, but the ignition key would have had to be turned to position III "start" at the same time and I realise that this would not have been obvious.
If, in these circumstances, the engine doesn't fire and run, we are narrowing the problem down to your replacement immobiliser, its connections and supplies including possible key transponder synchronisation.

We all hope to hear from you soon.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 17th June 2024 at 07:04..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 13:31   #27
Dickyod69

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Rich,

I see that you logged-on yesterday and I was expecting and hoping for your answer to my question but I was to be disappointed. Perhaps I should explain how relevant it is to your problem.

The immobiliser prevents the engine from running by disabling the fuelling provided by the ECM. It can also cut the electrical supply to the starter solenoid if:
  • The key transponder signal is not satisfactory
  • There's a fault with the automatic gearbox inhibitor switch.
  • The engine is already considered to be running.

Your test helpfully proved that the starter motor is working normally, thank you for that. Next we need to find out whether the engine is immobilised even though there is no indication of this in your Message Centre (which RAVE says is possible), hence my question. If the engine isn't immobilised so that the fuelling is working normally, I would expect your engine to have run when you supplied the starter motor manually, but the ignition key would have had to be turned to position III "start" at the same time and I realise that this would not have been obvious.
If, in these circumstances, the engine doesn't fire and run, we are narrowing the problem down to your replacement immobiliser, its connections and supplies including possible key transponder synchronisation.

We all hope to hear from you soon.

Simon
Hi Simon , the engine didnt start when I powered the solonoid , I had turned the key to but do I need to be holding it in the full start position (as if I was starting it normally)? Also the pin that was missing was in the connector but enough was poking out for me to remove it. Visually the connector looks ok there was a small amount of oxidisation and I did clean it with electrical connector spray. Thanks rich
Dickyod69 is offline   Reply With Quote