Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2024, 13:13   #1
JDER

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover75 Con SE 2 litre v6 Auto immobiliser

Sorry I am new to this so not sure what I'm doing. I think I have the dreaded sunroof/immobiliser syndrome. So turn key to pos.2 everything normal, pos. 3 nothing, remove airbox and check feed to solenoid, no power, check drive side carpet, wet, remove dash panels to find drain from sun roof dis connected and wiring wet, fix drain pipe. I then turn ignition to pos. 2 and run feed directly to solenoid, car starts no problem, spend time installing a push button with a line fuse and off to the petrol station, about 2 miles, half way there I notice the speedo is not working everything else on the dash is fine, put some juice in and the car won't start, walk home and get the other key, this works central locking fine, disconnect battery for a while, try again, still just spins, RAC arrive plug in thingy, no codes found but can't do major check as thingy not compatible but identifies no spark , tows me home, sit in a dark room for a while. check fuel filter, no clip but everything perfectly in line, take cover off pump side, I can here priming when ignition turned on but only get a little psst at shrader valve, no spark at plug. Do rev counter quick test for cam sensor all fine. All fuses checked and yellow relays interchanged, no engine immobilised symbol displayed on dash. I should mention I've not disconnected the immobiliser to inspect it, what should I do next? Does the EWS unit disable the spark?Cheers Jim.

Last edited by JDER; 29th June 2024 at 14:02.. Reason: title
JDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2024, 15:42   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Have a look at the EWS - its in the A pillar - look for any sign of corrosion and as you have a sun roof if the drains have blocked it will eventually goose the EWS.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2024, 16:22   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDER View Post
Sorry I am new to this so not sure what I'm doing.
Hi Jim and to the club.

You've not done too badly so far! The Rover manual does not say that ignition is disabled by the immobiliser, only fuelling and the starter motor.
The speedo failure sounds unrelated.
You may have fuel filter syndrome but you say that the filter is tight.
You may have a faulty camshaft position sensor which prevents starting, particularly in hot conditions. Try it again on a cooler day or for the ultimate test remove the sensor (a bit of a fiddle) and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
The rev. counter twitch is related to the crankshaft sensor which triggers the fuel pump during cranking but not priming.
The RAC diagnostics don't sound very reassuring. Non-starting should produce a fault code.
The 'engine immobilised' message appears only if the key is incorrect, the car is superlocked or the automatic gearbox is not in P or N.
Check both sides of the immobiliser connector for water damage.

Simon
Old 29th June 2024, 17:49   #4
JDER

Rover 75 Saloon

Default SD and GOC

Thankyou for your response, I will try to extract the EWS Sunday, weather permitting, am I right in thinking that if the fuel pressure is low the ECU won't allow a spark? I am confused as to why it initially started and ran, I think if I hadn't stopped at the garage it would still be running now! I've had this beautiful car for 18 years and can't imagine being without it. Cheers Jim.
Old 29th June 2024, 19:35   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... RAC arrive plug in thingy ... not compatible but identifies no spark ...
If the RAC's equipment isn't compatible, how much confidence do you have in its diagnosis of no spark?
Quote:
... am I right in thinking that if the fuel pressure is low the ECU won't allow a spark?
That's pure speculation isn't it Jim? To measure fuel pressure properly you need to connect a gauge to the Schrader valve.

Simon
Old 30th June 2024, 11:24   #6
JDER

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Simon, I've tested for a spark myself with a spare plug using the middle front plug lead. I hope to extract the EWS today if I can find a way round the security bolt issue or I might have to order the right ts30 spanner and wait till Wednesday. I'll try the cam sensor trick first. Cheers Jim.

OK tried the freezer treatment, no joy. Removed dash again, now waiting for torx thingy, why this, no need? I will get this car going again!!

Last edited by JDER; 30th June 2024 at 21:16..