Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th September 2022, 12:10   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Massive Cyber Attack -

WARNING: Massive Cyber Attack. Please take care!

My Australian service provider, Singtel Optus Pty. Limited.(commonly referred to as “Optus”) has informed me that “Optus has suffered a massive cyber attack with personal information of up to 9.7 million customers’ records stolen: including names, dates of birth, addresses, identification, and contact details”.

The second hack.
I was shocked a few years ago to discover that ‘tens of thousands” of subscribers to another car club (not our 75/ZT Club) suffered a similar experience. Unfortunately, one is not aware until sometime later that their details have been hacked.

I initially discovered the “theft” when I did a test and found my message did not register in my file. The crooks had redirected my correspondence to a third party’s email address - leaving me unaware of any activities.

Thankfully, my son was able to convince that club's administrators that I was the true owner of my email address and after considerable time restate my details.

I should mention that, only my phone is with Optus. -

This “massive cyber attack” is distressing, and I hope you will be cautious when receiving unknown messages. Though beyond my control, I apologise for this and hope you all remain secure and safe.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 12:16   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Any email, text etc I get that looks even slightly iffy gets deleted, not only deleted from the inbox but also deleted from the trash folder.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 15:19   #3
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
WARNING: Massive Cyber Attack. Please take care!

My Australian service provider, Singtel Optus Pty. Limited.(commonly referred to as “Optus”) has informed me that “Optus has suffered a massive cyber attack with personal information of up to 9.7 million customers’ records stolen: including names, dates of birth, addresses, identification, and contact details”.

The second hack.
I was shocked a few years ago to discover that ‘tens of thousands” of subscribers to another car club (not our 75/ZT Club) suffered a similar experience. Unfortunately, one is not aware until sometime later that their details have been hacked.

I initially discovered the “theft” when I did a test and found my message did not register in my file. The crooks had redirected my correspondence to a third party’s email address - leaving me unaware of any activities.

Thankfully, my son was able to convince that club's administrators that I was the true owner of my email address and after considerable time restate my details.

I should mention that, only my phone is with Optus. -

This “massive cyber attack” is distressing, and I hope you will be cautious when receiving unknown messages. Though beyond my control, I apologise for this and hope you all remain secure and safe.

I've always thought that requiring/holding dob details is/will be a disaster in that is key information is available for id theft. It is the KEY.

When the internet become popular and sites asked for more id info I used to put in a dob of 1900. As I should now longer exist I usually put in 1949 (post WW2 baby boomer )

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2024, 07:09   #4
mbn

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry for reviving this thread.
But have you noticed how many cyber attacks there are now? I don't know what's happening.

There's a guide here on them: https://www.salvagedata.com/ransomware-attack-guide/, maybe someone will be interested in it. But still, I don't know if we can protect ourselves from them.

Last edited by mbn; 28th June 2024 at 18:21..
mbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2024, 07:44   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

There are so many systems which store our information, we have to be very wary for ourselves and others, raising the subject regularly. Some of the culprits are very clever people but don't think that makes them nice, it doesn't.

The trouble with cyber crime is we cannot see it, and the security of our information, rests in the hands of others.

Last edited by planenut; 28th June 2024 at 07:47..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote