Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2024, 19:17   #11
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I have just replaced the gaiter on my R75 diesel front shock absorber. Jacked up the spring to be able to knock (with a cushioning bit of wood) the bit that clamps around the bottom of the shock absob=rber and carries the brake discs etc. Putting the brake disc carrier etc back is being a "wotsit"!!! Looking at the Haynes youtube video the brake/hub carrier slides under the end of the damper and then the Haynes chap just jacks it up and engaged the clamp bolt. There seems to be some 50m of the damper dangling below the level of the hub carrier and it seems that the spring needs to be comporessed somehow to get damper into carrier.I have looked round to see if I have left a brakehose or cable connected but all seems detached or de-restrained. Thoughts please.???
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 07:27   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
I have just replaced the gaiter on my R75 diesel front shock absorber. Jacked up the spring to be able to knock (with a cushioning bit of wood) the bit that clamps around the bottom of the shock absorber and carries the brake discs etc.
I don't quite follow Norman. How did you fit a new gaiter without compressing the spring and removing the top mounting plate?
Quote:
There seems to be some 50m of the damper dangling below the level of the hub carrier and it seems that the spring needs to be compressed somehow to get damper into carrier. Thoughts please?
Locate the damper/spring assembly top mounting plate into the wing and fit the 3 x 13mm nuts loosely to allow movement. Manoeuvre the hub beneath the strut (difficult) and lift upwards to engage its slot with the blade on the damper. Align bolt hole and insert bolt (coated in Waxoyl for next time) tightening to 100 Nm. Tighten top mounting plate nuts to 22 Nm.

Any help?

Simon
Old 27th May 2024, 11:28   #13
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks. But there is too much strut dangling down to get the hub underneath! i.e. something like 50mm; too much to compress the spring by hand and its not stable enough to use the jack and a bit of wood on the spring flange.
Its a different from what the Haynes youtube video shows. They are showing what to do with the MG version of the R75; is the damper so much shorter?
Looks like I am going to have to take the drive shaft out to manouver the hub on which isnt quite the short cut I was hoping for!
Old 27th May 2024, 12:06   #14
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Make sure both front wheels are in the air in the beginning or make sure the side you're not working on is raised clear of the ground - get a long bar about a metre long and prise the lower control arm downwards enough to slip the hub under the strut. As said above grease the strut first and line it up. Highly advised to have an assistant to avoid possible unintentional skin/blood loss - it can be a bit tricky but can be done.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 19:18   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Replacing the springs & shocks on my 1.8 with new listed components has given me quite a firm ride. I'm willing to bet that they'd be up to the job of supporting a diesel engine just fine. You may even get a more compliant ride at the front.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2024, 20:03   #16
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Managed to do it. Took the bottom joint off the aluminium "boomerang" suspension bit and there was plenty of room.Levered the hub up rrather than the boomerang down. Its back together now ready for tightening tomorrow. The learning curve gets steeper by the hour! Thanks to all for suggestions/support!
Old 27th May 2024, 20:06   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. But there is too much strut dangling down to get the hub underneath!
Further to Costa Fortuna's post, when I did mine the steering arm and lower suspension arm were disconnected from the hub which helped manoeuvrability. Are yours? Even so, it's a struggle when you're working on the garage floor.

Simon

This post crossed with yours announcing success!

Last edited by SD1too; 27th May 2024 at 20:07.. Reason: Posts crossed
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2024, 08:33   #18
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Didnt disconnect the steering arm. The joint with the aluminium boomerange made all the difference. When looking at the Haynes youtube video it doesnt show that having to be released. Just checked again and the boomerange joint definately stays connected. Is the damper on an MG version shorter????