Old 29th May 2023, 12:53   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Jeff,

This technology has been in use for the past couple of years through Skylum so it’s not new and when it came out it was sold as part of a software package through one payment. Skylum proudly boasted at the time they would not be going down the monthly subscription which Adobe users have to pay. But recently that’s changed when Skylum Neo updated itself to monthly subscriptions. They also updated the software not to work with older versions of Mac which pushed me out. Skylum is Ukrainian so I can understand their need for regular income. I liked the support when I complained to them about the upgrade pushing me out, I felt supported even though they couldn’t offer a solution, so next year I will have to buy a new second hand Mac to keep up with the likes of the latest from Adobe or Skylum.

This form of AI layering clearly is a lot of fun and has many applications. How successful it’s going to be with the purists I don’t know.

I have used it with Skylum a few times to replace the background or to replace a dull and uninteresting sky. On both occasions I didn’t reveal that the photo was not original. Some could say it’s cheating! but there will always be the doom sayers making those sort of snobbish comments - purists

Have fun
Hi Phil,

It's not quite the same as Skylum and others blend existing stock images with your own photo to the best of my knowledge. The Adobe version creates the part you want changed from scratch using A.I. It doesn't exist in real life. It is their computers interpretation of what you ask it.
The reasoning is that you can n to fall foul of any copyright issues and will be able to use this commercially once on full release.
The Sky replace has been available as a quick fix change for a couple of years I. Photoshop now and creating layers of different images has been there for a long time. I do believe that Adobe were the first to bring tat to the table. Having said that, it is a very time consuming job to do it properly and the 'generative fill' speeds the process up no end.

To be honest, It is of more interest to me for being able to remove bits from an image in a non destructive way or add to the canvas. Both of which are much better than 'content aware' which just copies pixels. It makes this side of editing so much quicker with arguably better results. When you are editing a serious amount of images in your workflow every day for your living. This has the makings of a real game changer.

It will be interesting to see how it gets more polished when it goes on to general public release.

You are right with the subscription and if you are just a casual user of image editing software then there are cheaper (or free) alternatives out there.
For me £9.95 a month is worth every penny considering you get Lightroom and Photoshop, plus some other apps included in that price.

The only other image software I would consider for myself would be 'Capture One' for its excellent 'tethered' shooting abilities. I can't be bothered to learn yet another bit of software though so I'll stick with Lightroom for that even if it isn't as accomplished for tethered shooting.

Anyhow, how are things back in the U.K ?

We must have a catch up at some point, it's been far to long!