Thread: EU vote?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 16:28   #45
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Bob, You're not in a minority! Plenty on here feel the same way! In fact that’s pretty much how I felt at one time. Long before Cameron went on his crusade and came with an empty bag and then proceeded to lie about it. And continued ever since.

Even today, a new ‘report’ from the Institute of Fiscal Studies has burst in with massive backing for Cameron’s position. Heralded as the only really independent organ, when you look closer all isn’t what it seems.

All their earlier predictions were hopelessly wrong in essence, from the EMF to Greece they were wide of the mark. They are independent as far as being a study and research group, university based, and funded by Europe! See below opinions from both Left and Right commentators – direct quotes lifted from Wiki – to give a balanced view:

The Institute for Fiscal Studies frequently speaks out on politically important issues and has at different times been criticised from both sides of the political spectrum. In October 2010, the leader of the Lib Dems accused the IFS of using methods that were "distorted and a complete nonsense" after it challenged government claims that tax and benefit reforms in the June 2010 Budget were "progressive”.

Left-wing think tank Tax Research UK stated in a report that the "Institute for Fiscal Studies is a body that persistently recommends tax increases that benefit the wealthiest in society at cost to those who make their living from work and the poorest in society".

On another occasion, the right-leaning magazine The Spectator published a leader stating that Institutes funded by research grants (which means, usually, tax money) will always argue for more expensive meddling by the state and that the Institute for Fiscal Studies was "the most striking example" of this.

It’s true the Leave campaign hasn’t given any future view of how the economy will fare, because neither they nor anybody else can! But, every budget that Osborne has presided over has had to be redrawn shortly after implementation, some in a matter of weeks. It is all guesswork.

I suspect voting will to a large extent be for who the public feel is the most trustworthy and believable. In any case, as things stand, whatever the result there will be no immediate change of government.

So no civil unrest, plagues, or insurrection!
What no plagues? I was looking forward to seeing a pox on all their houses!