View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:22   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeburymike View Post
I actually bought the special tool from Rimmer in the end rather than borrow Harry's home made tool and even had difficulty getting it on the Tensioner 24mm nut on my automatic Diesel 75. However I noticed a couple of burrs on the nut which I took down with a big file and managed to get the tool on the nut eventually with a little persuasion with a small hammer, and turn it anti-clockwise to release the tension! Absolutely no movement at all with the belt tension exactly as it was. I'm not sure what would happen if I just kept turning! The whole thing would probably come apart. As I am not too sure how the tensioner actually operates I thought I would come on to the forum and seek some advice. It doesn't look as if my tensioner can be freed! Presently my intention is to just cut the old belt off and see if all the things that should spin freely do so, and attack those that do not - including the tensioner itself. I hope to get a little nugget of information in response to this post sooner rather than later. By the way, I would be happy to include my special tensioner tool in a pool that could be hired for the odd job if anyone is interested in having a special tool library!

Mike, as Ian mentioned, if the tension isn't releasing when you turn the spanner then you need to tighten the nut on the back of the tensioner bearing shaft.

It is a left handed thread, and if you give it a good heave it should tighten enough to allow you to take the tension off the belt - if not loosen it again and add a few drops of Loctite to the shaft and tighten it again to a torque of FT, give or take.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 22nd July 2019 at 19:26..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote